Monday, June 29, 2009

Watermelon-Yogurt Ice

I've been invited to a virtual birthday potluck at Lick The Bowl Good. Today is Monica's birthday. Go by and tell her to have a great one!
This is what I'm bringing to the shin-dig. I found the recipe at delish.com and wanted to give it a try. I've never made anything like it and thought turned out pretty good. It tastes like I think watermelon ought to taste....sweet, cold, and refreshing.
Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 4 cup diced seedless watermelon (about 3 pounds with the rind)
  • 1 cup(s) low-fat vanilla yogurt
  • 1 tablespoon lime juice
Combine water and sugar in a small saucepan. Cook, stirring, over high heat until the sugar is dissolved. Transfer to a glass measuring cup and let cool slightly.
Puree watermelon in a food processor or blender, in 2 batches, pulsing until smooth. Transfer to a large bowl. Whisk in the cooled sugar syrup, yogurt, and lime juice until combined. Pour the mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into another large bowl, whisking to release all juice. Discard pulp. Pour the extracted juices into an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's directions. (Alternatively, pour into a shallow metal pan and freeze until solid, about 6 hours or overnight. Remove from freezer to defrost slightly, 5 minutes. Break into small chunks and process in a food processor, in batches, until smooth and creamy.) Serve immediately or transfer to a storage container and freeze for up to 2 hours.
    I'm not sure what they mean freeze up to 2 hours. Seems to me if you want to keep it frozen you should keep it in the freezer.
    I tried the ice cream maker method first, and it was an epic fail. So if you decide to make this just save yourself the trouble and stick it in the freezer to start with.
    **********************
And here's a sneak peek of something I'm thinking of offering for a giveaway in a few weeks :)

28 comments:

Alicia said...

oh yum! that looks so good! too bad i just found out i can't have anything with dairy....booo! but i bet my kids would love it!

thatgirlblogs said...

it was sooo hot here today and that would have been a perfect treat. next time!

Katy ~ said...

Boy does this sound cooling!

I think they mean "freeze up to two hours" to keep that creamy appearance after taking it out and, defrosting slightly, and processing to make smooth. Perhaps any longer than that and you have to go through the defrost process again?? Just a thought.

Donna-FFW said...

Sounds like a great item to bring to the shindig:) Looks so refreshing.

Jessica said...

Boy does that sound good! I might have to give this one a try!

grace said...

this is so unique! i've decided i'm a sucker for anything containing watermelon (assuming it's not a mealy watermelon--those aren't so great...), and this would certainly be a refreshing treat!

Monica H said...

Oooh, this is perfect. It's been in the triple digits- 107 degrees F. This looks so refreshing. I've been wanting to make watermelon popsicles so this hits the spot!

Thanks for playing and for the birthday wishes!

Ziggy Stardust said...

That sounds good and refreshing.

Anne

Leslie said...

what a perfect summer treat

The Blonde Duck said...

That looks so good! It's 105 here!

Cynthia said...

That watermelon - yogurt ice looks great. It's really hot here as well and looks so refreshing.

Reeni said...

That looks so cool and refreshing! And really delicious!

SugarandSpice said...

That looks so good and easy too!

Anonymous said...

The watermelon-yogurt ice sounds super refreshing! Very nice!

Anonymous said...

Wow! That's sounds simple and delish!!!
Thanks for sharing :)

Lunch Buckets said...

I missed that whole virtual part and 1. got jealous that I didn't get invited anywhere and 2. thought you sure were dumb for trying to take that anywhere in this heat.

Forgive me.

Heather of the EO said...

This is so interesting. (maybe i'm I total nerd for calling this "interesting," but I just never would have thought of it.

It looks and sounds GOOD. Gonna have to try it. I've got a fridge full of watermelon. Perfect timing! :)

Kim said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. This is my first time by yours and I love it. Love the post about the Boston Cream Pie and Martha Stewart!! And, I'm with you on your no bake cookies. I can't quit eating sweets and chocolate. I've been craving them all week. I need some serious help!!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Looks refreshing. Jalen, one of my twins would probably love this as he's a fiend for watermelon. Thanks for sharing!
~ingrid

Suzi said...

Looks yummy! My boys might even like that.

Visiting from SITS.

Foodiewife said...

I just made a strawberry-watermelon sorbet that was so refreshing. I'll have to try this version, because I've never thought of yogurt. Duh. Pretty color and I wish I had some right now-- I have a sore throat (early summer cold) and I'd bet this would soothe it. Yummy!

teresa said...

Oh yum, this sounds so refreshing! I love the watermelon with yogurt!

3 Bay B Chicks said...

Ummm, yum! You can come to my virtual party anytime.

Strike that, if you are making this, just come over to my house.

:)

-Francesca

valentine said...

yum, that does sound good, nothing says summer more than a watermelon treat!

♥peachkins♥ said...

This sounds really refreshing!

Mommy Bear said...

mmm that looks very yummy! I will have to try it.

Dumb Mom said...

Everything on here looks so yummy here! Awesome:) Came over from SITS, happy 4th

Katrina said...

I'm going to give this a try with the huge watermelon we've got!