Monday, June 15, 2009

Onion Dip---Revisited

A few weeks ago I made the onion dip I found at Closet Cooking and shared the results with y'all. I wanted to try it again and change it up just a little, and this is what I came up with.

This time I used the entire (8 oz) package of cream cheese, with about 1/4 cup of mayo. Along with the parmesan (maybe 2 large handfuls) I added some colby & monterey jack mix I had. About one handful of that. I baked it at 350 for about half an hour. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention there's 1/2 of a chopped vidalia onion in there.

So overall not a huge departure from what I did before. I did like the lower mayo content...just enough to give it a nice creamy texture. And adding the colby/monterey jack gives it just enough greasiness.

On a different note, the hubby and I decided to be a little adventuresome when we went out to eat on Sunday. Actually, we were more adventuresome than we meant to be. We thought we were trying a new Mexican place, but it was actually El Salvadorian (or however one would say that).

The place was called Salvadoreno Restaurante, (I know, that should have been some sort of giveaway right there) located in Phoenix. Their website is totally non-English.

He ordered the carne asada (shown below). He thought it was really tasty and very tender.

I decided to be really brave and ordered the sampler.

.

There's a lot going on this plate. The round things at the bottom are pupusas...one contained a meat mixture, and the other one had some beans and cheese. To the left of that are two little empanadas. One had meat & potatoes, and the other had plaintain in it. They were both so hard I thought I'd break my teeth on them. Between the empanadas and the weeds is some fried yucca. Aptly named, I'd say. There are 2 hunks of brown stuff in the middle of the plate...the lowest one I think is some type of roasted pork. Had a good flavor but was really tough. And the one with the white stuff (sugar) on top is dessert empanada with plaintain stuffing and cream filling. If you're still hanging in with me, the yellow strippy things at the top of the plate are plantain chips. They were pretty good dipped in that salsa, or the pico-type stuff that had a vinegary flavor. Lastly, in the silver wrap is a chipilin tamale. I had to google chipilin...it's some sort of legume. My favorite part, which I didn't get a picture of, was the corn tamales served with sour cream that we had as an appetizer. I would have been happiest with a big plate of those.

20 comments:

teresa said...

Mmmm, the dip looks so good, and it also looks like a delicious dinner out!

The Blonde Duck said...

I LOVe tamales. Folks make them here for Christmas!

3 Bay B Chicks said...

Mmmm....cheese cream and mayo. If there was ever a match made in heaven, this is it!

-Francesca

Reeni said...

The dip looks delicious! And what a plate of food that is - the tamales do sound yummy!

Joanna Jenkins said...

Now I'm craving Mexican food... and I'll make the dip for Father's Day! Thanks.

Christina said...

the onion dip sounds delish! I just read it to my hubby and he says we have got to try that!!

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I had to come over and return the favor SITSA!!

Monica H said...

i love sampler platters cause I like a little bit of everything!

Very colorful photos and pretty too!

Alicia said...

I'm totally drooling right now! I can't wait to check out the rest of your blog! Thanks for coming by and saying hi!

Heather of the EO said...

WOW, look at all this YUM. I'll have to try that onion dip. It seriously looks divine...

Katy ~ said...

You are a stitch; I appreciate that you seem to be so down to earth and real. I read through several of your older posts and laughed more than once.

Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving a nice comment. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance and to see you here as well. I shall return again, grins.

Anonymous said...

The onion dip looks so delicious and what a fabulous platter at the restaurant!

♥peachkins♥ said...

I love trying out new restaurants..and your onion dip looks really good.

Unknown said...

This post is making me so hungry! xoxox

Anonymous said...

Sounds yummy!

Pam said...

I think the onion dip looks and sounds fantastic.

Both dinners look delicious but I am partial to carne asada. Mmmm.

Grand Pooba said...

Oh my god that dip sounds sinfully delicious!

Julie said...

It really is good. Both times I've made it, it's disappeared about as fast as I got it out of the oven. Yeah, I ate most of it, but that's another issue altogether.

The JR said...

The onion dip sounds really good. We love all the ingredients you listed. Will have to try it and see if I can get the Hubby to eat something other than Ham and Jalepeno dip as a snack everyday.

Ramona

Colleen said...

I love onion dip too. I like to caramelize the onions before I bake it!

Karine said...

I seem to always forget I can cook dips. Yours make me want it start cooking them!