Friday, June 26, 2009

Italian Baked Chicken and Pastina

I'll have to say that Giada was resting on her laurels with this recipe It's got potential, but it just turned out rather blah. I know she makes some good stuff, I've made a few of her recipes that turned out really delicious.
I thought it looked pretty yummy all mixed up together, and a little bit colorful too. But it definitely needed something.
There was a fair amount of butter on top....so that wasn't the problem. Maybe it needed some more garlic, or the addition of some Italian seasonings might have been nice. Maybe a different kind of meat, some sausage may have boosted the flavor a bit.
The topping was pretty good, just a mixture of bread crumbs and parmesan.
Well, thank goodness I had some yummy no bake cookies to make up for the disappointment. (yeah that's a dirty potholder there, sorry)
A friend of mine in college would make these for us all the time and she recently sent me her recipe. I used to be able to make these but lost the touch somehow, and they would always turn out too runny or something. But her recipe is just right!
1 stick butter 2 cups sugar 3 Tablespoons Hershey's Cocoa 1/2 cup milk Stir while boiling 4 minutes over med heat. Remove from heat and stir in 1 Teaspoon Vanilla 3/4 cup Jif Peanut Butter 2 Cups quick oats Drop quickly onto wax paper and allow to cool. Eat before the kids get out of school and hide all evidence.

17 comments:

Katy ~ said...

Now isn't that something ~ I've never had luck with no-bake cookies. I'll keep your recipe to make for my Ole Sweetie-Pi. This would be enjoyed by him.

The pasta LOOKS good!

Varsha Vipins said...

yea.I love Gaida too..but dishes are always on less spicy side..so I make sure to add lots of heat..but this looks really beautiful..:)

theUngourmet said...

I hate when the recipe turns out blah! Your cookies do more than make up for the dinner! Yum!!

Jessica said...

Sorry to hear that the recipe didn't quite work out for you. I just watched Giada this morning and she made some yummy looking Tortelinni.

Christina Kim said...

That's too bad Giada's recipe didn't taste so great! Well, it was worth a shot. And those cookies do make up for it!

Ziggy Stardust said...

The cookies sound yummy and gooey and lets get some now please. I am not a big Giada fan, I have not had luck with a few of her recipes. Some of her desserts I do like though.

Anne

Lunch Buckets said...

That's so freaky. The husband and I were just talking last night about stuff we used to know and don't anymore. Mine were the countries in Central America, the periodic tables, and the recipe for no-bake cookies. And I've been thinking about them since. The cookies I mean, not the rest. Get outta my head!

Julie said...

Central America has countries?

Marta said...

Well, the pasta bake does look crispy and moist, I guess that's something, right?
Giada seldom turns out memorable recipes, to my taste anyway.
Great cookies, I'm glad they balanced things out :)

Anonymous said...

That pasta looks So good, but I guess looks are deceiving! Well, it made for a very drool-worthy picture!

♥peachkins♥ said...

This dish looks pretty and delicious so I'm a bit surprised that the taste is rather blah!

It's a good thing you have those cookies...

Monica H said...

it sure looks good- sorry it was so blah! But those cookies are anything but!

Tiffany said...

The pasta looks kind of like fancy mac and cheese. We love no bakes here, they get made often.

teresa said...

It looks like the cookies were a good redemption for the pasta, delicious!!

shelley said...

i don't know those pictures make it look really tastey! hmmmm stopping by from roll call, love to meet new friends! especially "chefs" :)
holla back!
shelley
http://iamstillstandingafterallthistime.blogspot.com

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Bummer about Giada's dish.

Aaaa, so those are cookies that you were craving. I see now. :)
~ingrid

Brandy said...

I've made her dish several times but I always add more garlic and I use tomatoes with the italian seasoning already in them in addition to the other seasonings.

I think it's pretty tasty after I doctor it up a bit.