Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Butternut Squash Dumplings with Brown Butter and Sage

I saw Alton Brown making these dumplings on the Food Network a few nights ago, and when he was just about to taste them, he got distracted by something and never took a bite. I was so disappointed, that I had to go and make them myself.
click the link for the full recipe
The recipe states to use "1 1/2 small butternut squash", but I think it really meant to say to use one small squash, because that's what he did on the show.
The squash I used was actually pretty large...I didn't use all that I scraped out of it. I froze almost half of what I got, and still think I had a bit too much. Or maybe just needed more flour. It was a pretty wet dough.
After getting the dough all mixed up, you make several snakes shapes and cut them into pieces.
This is the only time I've made any type of dumpling other than chicken and dumplings so I really enjoyed it.
The reviews of this recipe were not very flattering over all, but I thought it was pretty good.
But I supposed anything sauteed in butter and sage is probably okay with me.

20 comments:

Monica H said...

I just got distracted by the pic of your Dorito chicken and now I'm at a loss of words 9doesn't happen often!)

looks yummy to me!

Julie said...

well...if I had to choose between the dorito chicken and these dumplings...I'd pick the dorito chicken :P

♥peachkins♥ said...

it looks really yummy..

Katy ~ said...

I think these look and sound very very good! What a lot of work; a labor of food love. I would certainly love to try these.

Kim said...

I must have momentary ADD - I saw comments about dorito chicken and now I'm distracted :D I'll have to get on some of that dorito chicken!! Isn't it weird how sometimes the food network show and recipe are a little different? Through the TFF roundups we've discovered a difference between Tyler's cookbook recipes and what's online at the food network. Same recipe but different somehow or another. Looks great though :D

Sherri Murphy said...

What a perfect Autumn bowl of comfort.

Leslie said...

yep..I am with you..throw it in a bowl with butter and sage and I am allll good!

Kathy said...

I have an award waiting for you over at my blog...stop by and pick it up!

Donna-FFW said...

My goodness, does that ever sound delicious. What perfect gnocchi!! Love the sauce.

love lives in the kitchen said...

wow! it's lunch time here. i want it right now!!!
have a great day,
justyna

teresa said...

oh these look so fun! i love fluffy dumplings, and butternut squash, a winner in my book!

noble pig said...

Very, very yummy. Butternut is my absolute fav squash!

theUngourmet said...

I've never made dumplings. They look terrific. I'm with you! Anything with butter and sage is awesome! :D

Anonymous said...

They look delicious!

test it comm said...

The sweet butternut dumplings would go really well with the crispy sage and brown butter sauce. I made some sweet potato gnocchi in crispy sage and brown butter sauce a while ago it it was also good.

NKP said...

I find I always need more flour than they say on gnocchi recipes.
Yours look delish!
I haven't tried squash ones yet, but I have done sweet potato and really enjoyed them.

Colleen said...

This is so funny - I JUST recommended a brown butter and sage sauce to someone for pumpkin ravioli. This looks fantastic!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Now doesn't that look good! They look kinda like gnocci (sp?).
~ingrid

The JR said...

The brown butter and sage does sound pretty good.

Ramona

Carrie said...

Wow, your dumplings look amazing! I love the brown butter sage sauce! Man, I bet it was fantastic!