Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Dim Sum Style Pork Buns

I'll preface this whole thing by saying that I don't claim to know jack about making any sort of Asian food with any degree of authenticity. But a couple of years ago I had the opportunity to try dim sum and the bbq pork buns they served have haunted me ever since. (yes, I did try the chicken feet, too)
So these are my attempt to recreate them at home. They weren't really much like the ones I had at the restaurant, but I enjoyed them just them same.
This effort is a combination of a couple of different recipes but mostly based on the one found here on TLC Cooking.
You start by making a 12 oz pork tenderloin and chopping it up really small. Mine was more like a pound and half so I didn't chop it all up.
I pretty much followed the directions found on the TLC site for the filling but I didn't use the mushrooms.
The bread dough is from the frozen aisle and instead of a whole loaf I got the rolls. I defrosted about 9, but I think 12 would have been better to use up all the filling. After they have defrosted and risen, you just punch them down individually and make a little circle about 3 or 4 inches in diameter. Then pinch it up to close it.
After this place them seam side down to rise again about 45 minutes.
I think he's kinda purty. Even the picky boy child ate a little of it.
So do I recommend trying this at home? Sure if you're feeling adventurous and got a little time on your hands. Go for it!
I also made some fried rice cakes which start out with a box of chicken flavored rice and vermicelli. I should have known right there to not even start. They didn't really stick together like they should, and the flavor is just okay. I burned just about every finger I have making these things too. Oh well, live and learn.
We also had some roasted cauliflower that I found a recipe for at Home with Mandy.
I am not a cauliflower fan at all, but this made it quite a bit more tolerable. Could have been that 3/4 stick of butter, but whatever.

32 comments:

Sherri Murphy said...

Looks wonderful to me!

Kim said...

I would love to try those pork buns. I've never had them before, but they sound delicious.

Monica H said...

I love how honest you are with your reviews. If I don't like something I tend to not blog about it. I'll have to get over that.

Dim sum is my fave and those pork buns look delish. Now I know what to do with my lefotver tenderloin.

NKP said...

I'm with Kim, I would love to try the pork buns at home.

The JR said...

I've never had dim sum. Your pork buns look good.

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

I am really intrigued with this. My family would definitely devour this! You did good!

noble pig said...

I had these for the 1st time when I was in Hawaii and I love them. I have to make these, yum.

teresa said...

this is all so fun! i love the buns, i'd love to try something like this.

♥peachkins♥ said...

I love pork buns! yours look fantastic!

Mara Campbell said...

Those buns look awesome. I bet you could put all sorts of fun fillings in those, so versatile!!

Reeni said...

I love those pork buns! They look really delicious. And roasted cauliflower is the best!

Donna-FFW said...

Great appetizer just in time for superbowl appetizer idea brainstorm sessions!

Unknown said...

Ooh, those look delicious! I've never tried the frozen bread dough before. I might have to pick some of that up the next time I'm at the store!

Captain Dumbass said...

Your pork buns don't look bad at all. And I KNOW what I'm talking about.

unconfidentialcook said...

Thanks so much for stopping by!!! We love dim sum--it's my daughter's favorite!--and these buns look fantastic.

Debbie said...

That looks incredible. My food is never that photogenic.
Dropped by from SITS.

TKW said...

I swear, I am on a constant search for a method to make cauliflower palatable--haven't found it yet.

Those buns look great!

Deborah said...

These look sooo delicious!!

Small House said...

OH MY WORD....not only does this look good, but it looks like a TON of work! WOW!!!

Christo Gonzales said...

the buns look good - did you try steaming hem?

Katy ~ said...

I think you did a terrific job. I think pork buns are tricky to make (I've only read recipes for them) so many kudos to you for doing this!

Lynn said...

Your pork buns look gorgeous! I'll bet they were good. And I have to agree about adding the 3/4 c. of butter, that it would make anything taste good -- I think I would eat cardboard if it was soaked in 3/4 c. butter :o

Mireya said...

Hey, this looks great! Nice work!!

Anonymous said...

OOoooh that looks so good!

Joanne said...

You definitely can't do Dim Sum without trying the chicken feet. It's necessary, if slightly gross.

I LOVE steamed pork buns. They are just about the best things ever. thanks for sharing this recipe. I've always wanted to make them at home.

Ingrid_3Bs said...

I think the pork buns would be an excellent recipe to try when you have some pork tenderloin left over. I like your adaptions for making it easier, too.

Sorry about the fingers.
~ingrid

Julie {Angry Julie Monday} said...

Yum!!! Looks soo good!! Stopping by from SITS!! Will have to browse the rest of your recipes!

glenna said...

Oh my! I was already hungry, now I'm starving! These look so good!

~~louise~~ said...

Kudos to you Julie!

I've never tried making dim sum myself. You make it sound fairly easy. I may just have to give them a try. Thank you so much for sharing...I'm so glad I discovered your blog! It's fabulous!!!

Pam said...

These look absolutely terrific!

Elizabeth said...

Wow - the pork buns look like a real treat! Nice Job!

eilismaura said...

OMG I want to try this!!!!!!