Monday, January 18, 2010

Braised Beef Brisket and Cucumber Salad

As promised, here is Tyler Florence's braised beef brisket. Which may or may not be his, incidentally. When I went to the Food Network site to find it, the recipe had been removed. So this one comes from RecipeZaar (click there for recipe) and claims to be his. If it's not, I apologize.
This brisket has a pretty easy prep, and the aroma in the house during it's cooking was a bit maddening.
The recipe instructs you to strain off the veggies and toss them, but I just couldn't bring myself to do that. Then I wouldn't have had this bowl full of yummy stuff with that fun little half garlic head.
So in the end, how did it compare to PW's brisket? I hate to say it, but hers wins, hands down. This one makes a nice meal, no doubt. But I won't be waking up at 2 a.m. thinking about it, unable to go back to sleep. Maybe hers is better because of the long marinading time, or cooking it low and slow. I dunno, all I know is I big time puffy heart love it!
I've been seeing lots of Ellie Krieger recipes floating around. This cucumber salad is one of them. It was pretty good, maybe a little salty.
I'm not sure if I'm crazy about Ellie overall. I guess she's okay if you like little pixie haircuts on cute pixie faces, perfect skin, and calm demeanors. If you're into all that. Whatever.

25 comments:

Joanne said...

So basically I need to try PW's brisket recipe. Noted. In the meantime this looks super delicious. Definite eye candy.

I'm not one of Ellie's biggest fans. Her food is good but not GREAT. If you know what I'm saying.

Donna-FFW said...

Wow, I will so have to try PWs brisket, being that its better than Tylers.. we are brisket fans here, so thanks for the heads up..

Cute pixie like tiny girls arent my favorite either, they are probably size 0, eww, unfair:)

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

The brisket looks very moist and delicious. I would have had a hard time throwing the veggies away too.

♥peachkins♥ said...

beef is my favorite meat. my mouth is watering looking at your beef brisket..

Cammie said...

no, not a goose lover AT ALL.

here is why

http://houseofnosleep.blogspot.com/2009/01/tale-of-dragon-and-queen.html

stupid geese

Juliana said...

Yummie, the beef brisket looks delicious and the cucumber salad very refreshing :-)

Katy ~ said...

You make me smile. I don't know that I've ever had a brisket, but if I do, I'm going with PW's!

noblepig.com said...

I love a brisket showdown!!! Nice!

Reeni said...

I wouldn't of thrown those delicious veggies away either. Veggies cooked with meat are the best. Your so funny. Ellie. Her food seems kind of dull to me.

Unknown said...

i love brisket and I would have kept the veggies too....and ate them while my hub turned his nose up at the very thought of it. I like the idea of ellie...that you can eat and be thin..but she sounds a bit like that old saturday night live skit where the girls poke fun at npr...kinda bland

grace said...

why on EARTH would you toss the veggies? that's ridiculous! not only is it wasteful, but they'd be delicious, all infused with the luscious beef broth. how silly--i'm glad you have some sense. :)

The JR said...

You know it's good when you wake up thinking about something you ate.

Thanks for the post.

Unknown said...

You're right...PW's brisket is AWESOME. :)

Pam said...

The brisket looks tasty but now I have to go to PW's site to see her version.

I love, love, love the cucumber salad...yum!

Kathleen said...

Thanks for comparing the two. Now we all have a better idea of which one we're gonna try first. ;)

small home plans said...

The beef looks lovely! This is perfect for a nice and cold weather! Thanks for sharing!

Lisa said...

This food looks amazing! Now my stomach is growling...

Thanks for stopping by my blog recently. I've been slow in responding, but it is always nice to meet someone new.

theUngourmet said...

It's nice to know that you liked PWbo's recipe better. I'll have to try it! I am loving that big bunch of garlic though! Love the cucumber salad too. The first time I had cucumber salad was at a Sushi place. I was hooked from the first bite! :)

Mayhem and Moxie said...

Big time, puffy heart love it? Sign me up. I'm all over anything kind of dish that gets such a glowing endorsement!

Oh, and that cucumber dish looks pretty tasty too. Thanks!

Clumbsy Cookie said...

What a lovely meal! I love brisket!

The Blonde Duck said...

I love the brisket review!

Krista said...

Lol at your Ellie description! I've got to try that PW brisket after your rave review. Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Velva said...

So, its PW brisket recipe, hands down :-) Thanks for the honest review.

I enjoyed the Ellie comment. I never quite thought of it of that way but, a good description.

Enjoy your weekend.

Kim said...

This means that I have to try PW's brisket. It must be really good:D

Ellie's show isn't one of my favorites(for all the same reasons you mentioned). But I'll give her credit on her new book. It's pretty good for quick and easy healthy food.

Monica H said...

My step dad likes to watch her because he "likes her eyes" uh huh!

This brisket looks good to me but now I want to try PW's version.