Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Simon Says....Quiche!

Oh that silly boy of mine. He can get some of the strangest notions in his head.  And he's quite persistent with them.  I can remember we had a period of time where we had to go outside and say goodnight to Luna (the moon) and sing the goodnight song.  Heaven forbid if the moon wasn't showing.  Then there was the time we had to pretend our chicken legs were mutton.  Most recently he's had quiche on the brain.  I have no idea why.   So when I ran across this recipe with a lovely picture at Indigo's Sugar Spectrum as Simon was peering over my shoulder, it was all over.



As it turns out, Simon picked a very tasty and easy meal. That's my boy...always looking out for mom :)


I didn't do the hasbrown crust, just baked it in a regular pie crust, but I'm sure the hashbrown version would be great.


 INGREDIENTS

3/4 of a bag frozen hash browns, shredded
1/3 cup butter, melted
2 cups cooked diced ham
1 cup shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
2 eggs
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream



DIRECTIONS


Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).

Squeeze any excess moisture from the potatoes and combine them with the melted butter or margarine in a small bowl. Press this mixture into the bottom and sides of an ungreased pie pan


Bake at 425 degrees F (220 degrees C) for 25-35 minutes, edges should be brown.
Remove pan from oven and arrange the ham and cheese evenly over the potatoes. In a separate small bowl, beat together the eggs and the cream. Pour this over the ham and cheese..
Return pan to oven and bake for 425 degrees F (220 degrees C) for 30 minutes, or until the custard has completely set.

16 comments:

Monet said...

What a smart child! You can never go wrong with quiche! I could eat quiche for breakfast, lunch and dinner. It is perfect and always pleases. Thanks for sharing!

Lunch Buckets said...

Hashbrown crust? Oh I am intrigued!

Monica H said...

Smart boy :-)

I'm excited to try that hashbrown crust. yum!

Lara said...

My husband absolutely loves quiche. The hashbrown crust definitely sounds intriguing!

tinyskillet said...

Love it. Your boy sounds so cute!
I like to make quiche, it's kind of like fried rice...a good way to use up leftovers and it's so tasty! I like the hashbrowns in it!

The JR said...

The quiche looks very good!

How cute, but you're a great Mom to do those things with and for him.

Anonymous said...

Smart boy and super-easy quiche!! I can imagine how delicious that hash brown crust would be too.

Pam said...

I love making quiche with pie crust and shredded potato crust... yours looks delicious.

Krystal said...

I love quiche. We make a similar quiche w/ pepperjack cheese. Gives it a nice little kick!

The Blonde Duck said...

I haven't had quiche in ages! I miss it!

Mary | Deep South Dish said...

Love it! And based on that empty pie plate, so did everybody at your house!!

Karen said...

I think the hash browns would be great with this for a brunch!

♥peachkins♥ said...

I love quiche and other egg dishes!


The Peach Kitchen
peach and things
blowing peachkisses

Julie M. said...

Yum! I just made something similar to this last night. Love quiche in every form!

Kim said...

I love that your son is interested in what he wants to eat. My kids just ask me for the same boring things all the time. This looks like a great and easy quiche. Love it!

Reeni said...

That is so sweet - singing to the moon! And Simon picked a winner - sounds very tasty!