Friday, September 17, 2010

Cannoli Pie

I was in need of a yummy dessert today, but it had to be easy.  So I started looking around for such a thing and ran across something that I thought might fit the bill at Cooks.com.


 It seems like is a very adaptable recipe that one could add many different flavorings, or candies or nuts or whatever.  You could use whatever kind of pie shell you like (I  used one regular and one graham cracker). It might even be fun to get those little individual sized pie crusts.  


The recipe makes 2 pies, so I separated the filling into two equal parts and put mini chocolate chips into one, and in the other I chopped up a white chocolate bar with vanilla beans that I saw made by Ghiradelli.  



I highly recommend this one, we all loved it!

Here is the recipe as I found it at Cooks.com.  Besides the additions and changes I mentioned above, I also added a good sized splash of Kahlua which seemed to add something really nice to the flavor.

Cannoli Pie 

3/4 lb. Ricotta cheese
3/4 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
4-6 sm. Hershey bars with almonds
1 1/2 pts. heavy cream (that's 3 (8 oz.) containers)
2 graham cracker pie crusts (chocolate is best)

Chop Hershey bars finely. Gently mix Ricotta, sugar, vanilla, and Hershey bars. Whip 1 1/2 pints heavy cream until very stiff. Fold in 3/4 of  whipped cream into cheese mixture. Pour into pie shells. Top with remaining whipped cream and Hershey bar. Refrigerate.  (I chilled mine about 2 hours).
 

 

31 comments:

Joyti said...

It looks SO delicious and I like the the look of both. Seems pretty easy too.

Anonymous said...

Julie, this is brilliant!!! I love cannolis but have never made them myself because I didn't want to fuss with those shells. I know you can buy them premade but I still didn't want to fuss with them, lol. This is perfect! All the flavours of a cannoli with no fuss. Yum!!!!

Kristen said...

It looks easy and tasty.

Richard Lawry said...

I haven't had breakfast yet and you are making me hungry

An Arkies Musings

Monet said...

I'm all about adding an extra splash of Kahlua! Yum! This looks like a delicious pie...a crowd pleaser for sure! Thank you for sharing it with me.

Kim said...

Here is my question -

How in the world did you decide which one to eat first? Did you have a little slice of each?

I would definitely have to have a little slice of each! There would be no waiting to go back and try the other later;-)

Mimi said...

Fabulous! The taste of cannoli without all the work.
Mimi

La Bella Cooks said...

If you need another taste tester, I am more than willing! These both look so indulgent.

Unknown said...

Looks light fluffy & delicious

♥peachkins♥ said...

yummy dessert!

Aunt Spicy said...

That looks dreamy!

Brownieville Girl said...

I'd love a slice of the chocolate one right about now!!!

Joanne said...

Cannolis are a classic dessert in my house and I think we would all appreciate them in pie form! Thanks for sharing this, it looks delicious!

Monica H said...

Chocolate cookie crust all the way! Like your addition of Kahlua too.

Mary Bergfeld said...

This really is a fabulous idea. Everyone loves cannoli filling and to have it in pie form is just a short step from paradise. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

The Blonde Duck said...

You know I love pie.

Tiffanee said...

OH MAN!! They both look so delicious! I love cannoli but would of never attempted it. Thanks for a great delicous and easy way to make a favorite!!

Reeni said...

Anything with cannoli in the name is a winner for me! Looks luscious.

Kasha said...

I'm so glad and flattered that you found me and my blog. If you hadn't, I might of missed out on this perfect recipe for this weekend gathering I am having. Thank you thank you! I will be back for more!
I also love your blog name. That should of been mine, because I cook so randomly. Take care!

theUngourmet said...

The Kahlua does sound like a terrific idea! I'll take a slice of this creamy goodness right now!

Debbie said...

Oh that sounds so delicious. I've had cannoli cheesecake which is a favorite of mine. I would love to try this....so different too!

Unknown said...

Yum! And so much easier than regular cannoli.

megan @ whatmegansmaking said...

Looks completely delicious! :)

Krista said...

Holy cow! I bet that was delicious...and easy. Good pick!

Pots and Pins said...

Hi! Found you from Nibble Me This and I'm now suffering from a serious need for sugar thanks to your amazing pic and recipes! So many I want to try - thanks, I think!! xo, Nan

Mary | Deep South Dish said...

Forget the pie. Just give me a bowl full of the filling!!

The Blonde Duck said...

I know you made this pie for my birthday.

Elizabeth said...

This is really a cool recipe, thanks for sharing!

Lori said...

Oh my that does sound totally delicious!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

I'm ALL over this! I love ricotta in both savory & sweet. Thanks for passing along the recipe.
~ingrid

Kerstin said...

Very cool idea - your cannoli pies sound delicious!