Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Bacon Mac

Isn't it weird how kids who are crazy for mac&cheese don't really like the real thing?  And the same kids who also like bacon don't like it when you put it in their mac&cheese?  Oh well....more for me!




I found this recipe at Cooking Light.  Does it really make it lighter just because I found it there?  Maybe, maybe not.  I'm sure there are way worse macaroni and cheese recipes out there, but I found this one completely delicious!  In fact I'm about to go get some of the leftovers for lunch right now.  But before I do, here's the recipe so you can do the same.



Ingredients

  • 3 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
  • 12 ounces strozzapreti or penne pasta
  • 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 cups skim milk, divided
  • 2 cups finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
  • 1/4 cup sliced green onions
  • 1 teaspoon hot sauce
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 2 slices center-cut bacon, cooked and crumbled
  • Cooking spray

Preparation

1. Preheat broiler.
2. Bring 6 quarts water and 1 tablespoon salt to a boil. Add pasta; cook 8 minutes or until al dente; drain.
3. Combine flour and 1/2 cup milk in a saucepan over medium heat. Gradually add 1 cup milk; bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; let stand 4 minutes or until it cools to 155°. Stir in 1 1/2 cups cheese. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt, onions, hot sauce, pepper, and bacon; stir. Add pasta; toss. Spoon into a 2-quart broiler-safe dish coated with cooking spray; top with 1/2 cup cheese. Broil 7 minutes.

21 comments:

Alexis AKA MOM said...

That looks fab!!!

Kim said...

I hear ya. My daughter always prefers mac and cheese from a box to the homemade kind. Isn't it crazy?

Those cooking light recipes are just about always awesome and this one looks perfect. I like that they add hot sauce to it.

Ally's Sweet and Savory Eats said...

I'm a sucker for any kind of mac and cheese and this one looks great!

Dawn @ Words Of Deliciousness said...

I have never had bacon in mac and cheese, I bet it is a great addition. This looks delicious.

Amy said...

Looks delicious! Bacon = yum.

scrambledhenfruit said...

When my kids were little, they turned up their noses at any mac and cheese that didn't come out of a box. Now that they're grown though they love the real stuff. They'd love this one, and so would I! :)

Chris said...

There are times like these when I wonder if my kids are really "mine". Where's Maury when you need him, ha ha.

This looks so good. Forget side dish....I could eat a plate of this by itself for lunch.

teresa said...

yeah, my weird kids are the same way. this however, looks right up my alley!

The Blonde Duck said...

I've been having fits over mac and cheese lately--Ben's daddy's way isn't cheesy enough for me and the ones with a rouse are just blah--this looks CHEESY! And bacon....oh yeah.

Pam said...

Everything is better with bacon!

Namitha said...

I hear you girl, my kids are the same :-) This recipe sounds great !

Monet said...

Yum! This sounds like my bowl of pasta :-) This "light" mac and cheese" look delicious. Such a great way to start my weekend. I hope you have a fabulous day!

Unknown said...

I have yust descover your blog and already i like it..eindeed i follow you from the far Italy blessing Simmy

Mimi said...

Yep my kid were the same way when they were small. Now they complain if I had them the box stuff to make.
Looks delicious of course.
Happy Thanksgiving
Mimi

Bo said...

I'm not relly sure if any mac & cheese could be considered light...but you did use skim milk...It looks delicious...yum...bacon!

claire said...

looks amazing! sorry i have been so MIA! i am back!

4*KowBoys said...

This looks so good. I really wish my kids liked home made mac and cheeses...

Velva said...

I grew up eating mac n cheese from the box, now, mo way I prefer it your way. Awesome.

Velva

Blond Duck said...

Hope you're dong well!

Amy said...

I love homemade mac n' cheese and trying new variations! Yummy - it is the perfect comfort food.

Unknown said...

That's funny, my kids don't like real mac and cheese either. They don't know what they're missing! Yours looks delicious!