Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Good Bye Little Puppy Friend

I couldn't decide whether or not to blog about this, but we've got no secrets between us. So I'll just go for it. But you'll be stuck looking at these pics because I've gotta work the next couple of days (my work days are 12 hours so there's no cooking on those days).


  We lost our friend Cody today. He was somewhere around 15, maybe almost 16.  

 He adopted my husband back when we lived in Arkansas. My first words to (or about) Cody were "Get that dog off my bed".  Well, up until he couldn't jump so good, he got on my bed whenever he darned well pleased. 



Aside from adopting grown men, some of his adventures have included being friends with a 3-legged dog, killing a possum with said 3-legged dog.  Suffering a fractured pelvis as a result of being hit by a car and almost losing the ability to dance. (but not quite)


Putting up with having not one, but two squawling little weird looking creatures being brought into his home, who later grew big enough to drop cheerios on his head, so he became friends with the weird creatures.
Riding cross country to move to Arizona with his adopted person in a little Ford Ranger, only to have the truck break down when it was just about 4
 hours from it's destination.  



Life was pretty steady and predictable until about 2 years ago when one of the cheerio-droppers opened the side gate and Cody slipped out for a 4 day adventure in the 'burbs of Phoenix.  He was rescued by an animal lover who had a pool, fed him stinky food, and bought him some bling.  (We found him through a site called Fido Finders, and I'm sure when we showed up he thought "Oh crap, I thought I had it made!") 


Over the past 2-3 years, old Cody had slowed down more than just a little. Not too interested in doing any dancing, barking at vacuum cleaners, or killing possums.  Just mostly wanted a (low to the ground) place to sleep, and few yummy morsels to be tossed his way, and love of his family.  He had been in renal failure all summer, and it's hard to tell when the time was right.  But today was definitely that day.  Hopefully old Cody had a happy life and knew that we were glad to be his people.  

 

26 comments:

Monet said...

My sweet friend...I feel for you. I know that no words can erase the pain, but just know that I'm thinking about you. You wrote a beautiful tribute to your sweet puppy, and I'm glad you allowed us to share in some of your pain.

Mary | Deep South Dish said...

Aw, what a beautiful sweetheart Cody was and you can tell that he was both well loved and captured a few hearts during his stay here on this earth. I'm a very big animal lover and it's mighty difficult losing our beloved pets. My heart goes out to y'all.

Monica H said...

Oh Julie, I am so sorry for the loss of your furry friend. In July our family dog passed away as well and she was going through renal failure as well. Luckily, both our dogs lived long and full lives. I know he's in doggy heaven, chasing squirrels (or opossums) and eats lots of yummy treats. I wish you and your family peace and you are missing Cody. he was such a sweet looking pup.

~Monica

heather@actingbalanced.com said...

So sorry for your family's loss... it sounds like little puppy had quite a life with you and will be fondly remembered!

Heather Baird said...

He obviously had a very happy life and lots of love. Hope your hearts mend quickly. He was such an adorable little guy.

Lara said...

We just got our first dog and seeing this gives me a little reminder of what's ahead. That'll be a sad day.

It sounds like Cody was happy and well-loved.

Anonymous said...

Aw Julie, I am so so sorry for your loss. I have tears in my eyes as I'm writing this. I have a 12-year-old Boston Terrier (who sleeps with me every night) that is the light of my life. I dread the day...... Cody was a very lucky pup to have such a loving family. I wish you and your family peace and please accept this virtual hug.....

Cristine said...

I am so sorry for the loss of your dog. He was a cutie! Lots of love for you and your family.

Ingrid_3Bs said...

I'm sorry to read about Cody's passing!
~ingrid

Unknown said...

Rest In peace Cody!

Larissa said...

I am so sorry for this loss. I know this can truly feel like losing a member of your family, and hope that all around you are so understanding.

pam said...

I am so sorry. I wish you quick healing and happy memories of Cody.

Julie M. said...

Ok, now you you have me tearing up over here. He sounds like he was such a wonderful member of your family and he lived a long and happy life. You've paid a beautiful tribute to him with this post.

Mindy said...

I am so sorry about your dog! They really are a member of your family, and it tears your heart out when they pass. It sounds like she brought you a lot of happiness, though. So I'm glad about that.

Anj said...

I'm sorry to read about your pup. Losing a pet is so hard. Hope your hearts heal soon.

Joanne said...

Oh babe I'm so sorry for your loss! I'm sure that cody is smiling down at this post from doggie heaven though. It was super sweet!

oneordinaryday said...

What a sweet post about your pup. Sorry for your loss, but happy that you have so many fun memories.

Reeni said...

I'm so sorry! I know that our pets become like family members and it's heartbreaking when this happens. I not only know that Cody had a happy life but he had the BEST life. You all loved the stuffings out of him - that's obvious. *HUGS*

Emily Z said...

I am so sorry to read this. I literally got teary eyed and a little choked up. My husband and I have 2 little Dachshunds, and since we don't have kids yet, they ARE our kids, and are the loves of our lives. I know you gave Cody the best life a dog could had. I can read the love in your words and see it in your pictures. I know no words can comfort you loss, but do know that there are people in your blogging community who can empathize. I send you and your family lots of hugs. XOXO
~Emily

Krista said...

So sorry for your loss. I'm sure that he had a happy life in the good home you provided for him. Now he's running around and dancing with no pain in puppy heaven. Thinking of your family...

Kim said...

So sorry to hear about Cody. You can tell by looking at him that he was a lovable little guy.

June said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, and hope you keep the happy memories close to comfort you. Sweet dreams little Cody.

Velva said...

Cheers to Cody and his family. I know what a tough decision it was to put him at peace.

My Little Space said...

Oh Julie, I'm so sorry about your dog! I cried for 2 days after my dog passing, hit by a van. And life goes on. Btw, are you planning to get a new pup?
Kristy

Karen said...

I'm so sorry :(

The JR said...

Aw, been out so am just now catching up on reading.

So sorry. Hope you guys are feeling better now.

xoxo
Ramona