Sunday, September 26, 2010

Raspberry Almond Blondies

 Raspberries were on sale so I just had to grab some, not really knowing what I wanted to do with them.  After searching around a bit I decided I wanted to make these bars I first saw at A Singleton in the Kitchen.



These are delicious, not too sweet. Perfect for breakfast I'd say.  I think they'd be great with a dollop of whipped cream right on top.  But alas, I had none.


Here's the recipe for ya.

Raspberry Almond Blondies
9 tablespoons (1 1/8 sticks) unsalted butter, softened, plus more for pan
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup packed light-brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup sliced almonds, (3 ounces), toasted
1 pint raspberries
Confectioners' sugar, for dusting


Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a buttered 8-inch square baking pan with foil or parchment paper, allowing 2 inches to hang over sides. Butter lining (excluding overhang); set pan aside.
Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl, and set aside.
Put butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment; cream on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla; beat until combined. Add flour mixture, and beat on low speed, scraping down sides of bowl, until well incorporated. Mix 3/4 cup almonds into batter.
Pour batter into prepared pan; spread with a rubber spatula. Scatter berries and remaining 1/4 cup nuts over batter in pan. Bake until a cake tester inserted into blondies (avoid center and edges) comes out with a few crumbs but is not wet, 55 to 60 minutes. Dust with confectioners’ sugar before cutting into squares.

*I saved a little of the batter to smear over the top after sprinkling the berries on, that way they didn't get that dried out thing going on while baking.  

21 comments:

Evolving Mommy Catherine said...

Oh yeah, that looks awesome.

Kim said...

I love your new blog background. It's perfect for fall!

This is the first time I've ever seen a raspberry-almond blondie and I love it! Save one for me.

Taylor said...

I just picked up some raspberries on sale today at the store! I have never thought of using raspberries in blondies...great idea!

Monet said...

I will always take a blondie over a brownie...especially when they are studded with such beautiful berries and nuts. I think that this sounds like a perfect afternoon snack. I wish I had one to take with me to class tomorrow. Thank you for sharing!

Mary | Deep South Dish said...

Looks gorgeous!! I would certainly love one (or three) of these for sure.

Emily said...

Raspberries and almonds are two of my favorite things. I can't wait to try this recipe!

...stopping by from SITS!

oneordinaryday said...

Oh, I wish I could find raspberries on sale! They're my favorite and this is a great way to enjoy them. Looks delicious.

The JR said...

Looks yummy. But have a question about the sugar on top. That doesn't look like 10X to me.

Julie said...

It's decorative sugar I found made by wilton. Got it right in the Wal Marts.

The Blonde Duck said...

Love the new fall look!

Anonymous said...

Julie, what a coincidence. It's my turn to pick for Martha Mondays for next week and I had it narrowed down between these and pumpkin muffins, but ended up picking the pumpkin muffins only because it's fall and I was craving pumpkin. These are bookmarked to make soon though, they look wonderful. I love raspberry anything!

Deborah said...

My inlaws have raspberry bushes, and we have a TON of raspberries right now. This looks like a perfect way to use some!

Reeni said...

Just when I thought blondies couldn't get any better! These look heavenly! And I love your new look!

Alexis AKA MOM said...

let's make a deal you make the dessert I'll make dinner :). I even have a spare room :)

LOOKS so yummy the only bad thing is I so would EAT the whole batch.

theUngourmet said...

These would be terrific for breakfast or brunch! My son would like this too, he's crazy for raspberries.

Monica H said...

The textures going on in these blondies are quite nice! I've given up on the berries and have started hoarding pumpkin, so these'll have to wait :-)

Faith said...

Your blondies look incredible! I love the raspberries in there...perfect with the flavor of almond!

Anonymous said...

Yum! I absolutely love the combination of raspberries and almonds!

Mimi said...

I'd like to have breakfast at your house and I'll bring the whipped cream.
mimi

The Southern Cookbook said...

Oh yummy! With rasberries. I love this!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

My mom would love these. She's a fiend for anything raspberry.
~ingrid