Monday, March 15, 2010

My Chicken Stir Fry

There are thousands of ways to make stir-fry, but I think the absolute best way is to take whatever sounds good to you at the moment and throw it in the proverbial wok.  
I was a single girl for a long time (hard to believe, I know) and I would often make a variation of this for myself with just the chicken, canned mushrooms, and onion.  That's not a bad way to go, but my kids frown upon the 'shrooms, and I felt like I needed some color today.


And of course there's a ton of sauces and seasonings out there, but today this was the trifecta, along with some garlic and a little extra soy.  Which might make it a cinco-fecta, but I don't really think that's a word.
I'm really liking this Veri Veri Teriyaki.  I'm not sure where all it's sold, I found mine at a Fresh and Easy.


So this is kinda how my stir fry method goes:

Start with a package of chicken breasts (I used tenders and slightly froze it to make it easier to cut into bite size chunks)
I drizzled just a bit of the sesame seed oil over the chicken; about a tablespoon, and also added some of the teriyaki; about 1/3 cup.  Then added about 2 tbsp of minced garlic, mixed the whole thing together and let it sit in the fridge about an hour.
In the meantime I chopped up the veggies I was wanting to use:
Red bell pepper
1/2 Onion
Small broccoli head
Snow peas (not chopped of course)

With my skillet over med-high heat, I sprayed it with cooking spray (since I've already got oil in with the chicken) .
Then added the chicken to the pan with its marinating sauce, and cooked until done. 
Then added all the veggies, with a little extra terikayi and garlic, and about a tsp of that hot chili sauce (I'm a weenie) and cooked it for just about 2-3 minutes more.  If you like your veggies a little more done than that, feel free.

Served it up over a bed of rice and dinner is ready.
My daughter even felt that broccoli is slightly edible when prepared in this fashion.

23 comments:

À LA GRAHAM said...

You picture makes me want to make this right now! i love stir fry...lately our sauce of choice is oyster sauce (on everything). I'll have to pick up the Veri Veri Teriyaki. Thanks for sharing!

Mary | Deep South Dish said...

Stir fry is one of my favorite things to make when The Cajun is gone for dinner. He would just pick through the dish and eat only the rice and the meat, so I save it for myself where I can catch up on my veggies and enjoy on every single bite! Love that trifecta.

Kim said...

Cinco-fecta (I like it!!) I make up my own words all the time, especially when I'm hollering at the kids;D

I love the ingredients you used for marinating your chicken. I always just use soy sauce, but you really amped up the flavor there. My husband loves that sriracha and I know he would love your stir-fry. Looks delicious and is a bonus that it's healthy too!

NKP said...

Yum, I love a good stir-fry. Especially with sriracha!

The JR said...

I'll be on the lookout for that brand now. Your stir fry looks good!

Mimi said...

Simple and tasty. That's my kind of meal.
Mimi

Bethany said...

It sounds super yummy! I can't wait to try the recipe!

teresa said...

that's the kind of thing i could eat all day long, delicious!

noble pig said...

That's my favorite teriyaki sauce too! It all looks won-dee-ful.

Leslie said...

Hmmm..I have never seen that sauce brand before.
Love your stir fry..quick and easy and yummy

Reeni said...

What a fresh and delicious looking stir-fry! The teriyaki looks like a good one.

Krista said...

Gorgeous picture! I think that your stir-fry sounds completely delicious. I love all of the flavors going on here. Love stir fry. Good stuff!

Anonymous said...

The stir-fry sounds excellent with the sriracha sauce!

theUngourmet said...

I love stir fry. I don't know why I don't think to make it more often. I also love that hot chili sauce! Your recipe looks delicious!

Joanne said...

I love a little green in my stir fry! It really is the perfect single girl dish but it is also the dish I most frequently make for my parents...mostly because they love Chinese food flavors.

The Blonde Duck said...

Ben loves stir fry but is on a diet....huzzah for you! This is great.

~~louise~~ said...

There's nothing like a good stir fry especially when you're single. Your method not only sounds easy, it just sounds wonderful!!! I use to look forward to the days when I could "pamper" myself with and "exotic" sir fry. (pretty much leftovers and such:)

Thanks for sharing, Julie.

Katy ~ said...

Don'tcha just love the versatility of a stir fry? This looks GOOD!

Unknown said...

I was coming by to thank you for stopping by my blog the other day...and I am glad I did. I LOVE stir fry. I don't feel guilty eating it!

grace said...

sriracha = magic, and that's all there is to it. your dish is colorful, flavorful, and healthful. in other words, excellent work. :)

Grand Pooba said...

I love stir fry! It's so easy and so yummy!

Joie de vivre said...

I love that Veri Veri Teriyaki. I've found it at my local Walmart in the "Asian Foods" aisle (more like a shelf) :)

sanjeet said...

I can catch up on my veggies and enjoy on every single bite! Love that trifecta.
data entry india