Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Eggplant Parmesan--Lightened Up

Are you somebody who really loves eggplant?  Well, this dish might be for you.  I personally would have preferred it with some chicken.  


I found this recipe at Cooking Light, and it's lightened up by not frying the eggplant but just browning it under the broiler.  
I did think the sauce was tasty, and I liked the way the cheese got all brown and melty.  


Here's the how-to's if you need your eggplant fix.

Ingredients:

1/2 cup dry white wine
1 tablespoon dried basil
1 tablespoon dried oregano
4 (8-ounce) cans no-salt-added tomato sauce
1 (28-ounce) can no-salt-added whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 (1-pound) eggplants, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch slices
1/4 cup water
3 egg whites, lightly beaten
1 1/4 cups Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Vegetable cooking spray
3 cups (12 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
Fresh oregano sprigs (optional)  

Directions:
Combine first 8 ingredients in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes.
Place eggplant in a large bowl; add water to cover, and let stand 30 minutes. Drain well; blot dry with paper towels. Combine 1/4 cup water and egg whites in a shallow bowl. Combine breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese; stir well. Dip eggplant in egg white mixture, and dredge in breadcrumb mixture.
Place half of eggplant on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray, and broil 5 minutes on each side or until browned. Repeat procedure with remaining eggplant. Set eggplant aside.
Spread half of tomato mixture in bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange half of eggplant over sauce; top with half of mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers with remaining sauce, eggplant, and cheese.
Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Garnish with fresh oregano sprigs, if desired.

Yield:  8 servings

CALORIES 298 (26% from fat); FAT 8.5g (sat 5g,mono 2.2g,poly 0.4g); IRON 2.8mg; CHOLESTEROL 27mg; CALCIUM 422mg; CARBOHYDRATE 38.8g; SODIUM 818mg; PROTEIN 19.2g; FIBER 2.6g 





Oh BTW...I went and got myself a Facebook Page.  I'd love to see ya there :D




26 comments:

The Japanese Redneck said...

Since I'm on the diet thing, this is right up my alley.

I've done something similar and I liked it.

Looks good.

Kim said...

Just became a fan on facebook!

I like eggplant parm, but I've only had the full fat and breaded version. Yours looks good with all that oozy cheese!

MaryRC said...

I always get so hungry visiting your blog! Yummy!!

The Blonde Duck said...

I've always wanted to try it, but I know I'd need loads of meat. I'm such a carnivore.

Krista said...

I'm loving your lightened up recipes! I'm with you about the chicken though...I want to like eggplant parm, but everytime I eat it, I'm thinking, "I wish this were chicken."

I'll have to go join ya on FB now. See you there :)

Mimi said...

I love eggplant, I just pick up an eggplant plant at the nursery today. I'll book mark this for future reference.
I haven't ventured to Facebook yet.
Mimi

Mara... said...

Great recipe!! I never know what to do with eggplant and this recipe sounds a bit lighter than regular eggplant parm. It will be fun to try!!

grace said...

i could take this with eggplant or chicken--my favorite parts are the breading and cheeeeeeese. i love how you've made it a it less guilt-inducing. :)

Biren said...

I love eggplants and this looks delicious! Thanks for visiting my blog :)

Cinnamon-Girl said...

I love eggplant! Broiling is one way I haven't tried. I haven't ventured over to Facebook. Yet...

À LA GRAHAM said...

So funny I made eggplant parm for the 1st time a couple weeks ago and found it to be...well, not for me! I've never had it b4 and was wondering if I did something wrong...I'm with you forget the eggplant and use chicken!
It does look beautiful though!

Lynda said...

This looks delicious! I'm not a huge eggplant fan, but I'd eat a plate of this anyday.

Mom of the Twinkies and Tot! said...

I have never made eggplant myself before...and I'm not sure if the hubbs will like it...but I love eggplant parmesan and will totally be trying this out!

Debbie said...

I do like eggplant, especially Japanese eggplant. I'm going to bookmark this one!
Came over from SITS to say hi.

~~louise~~ said...

I LOVE eggplant parmesan. Yours looks quite enticing.

Thanks for sharing...

Barbara said...

I'm crazy for eggplant! And I love the reduced calorie version you have here...means I can jump right in and have my eggplant and cheese fix!

♥peachkins♥ said...

I'll be making one of this soon. It looks delicious!

Ms Bibi said...

I love eggplant and this is a awesome version eggplant parmesan.

I need to go and get some fresh eggplant now,lol.

Kathleen said...

I think broiling the eggplant is a really smart thing. I can't wait to try this!

Babes Mami said...

I LOVE eggplant parm!! This sounds tasty and has lower calories. Can't wait to try it.

Stopped by from SITS and now following!

5 Star Foodie said...

An excellent lightened up version!

My Book Barn said...

Oh yummy! Now this looks so good! Thank you for sharing!

Stopped by from SITS & am now following! ~Angela

Sook said...

This looks so delicious!

sanjeet said...

Yours looks good with all that oozy cheese!
data entry india

Elizabeth said...

I absolutely adore Eggplant Parmesan and this recipe looks like a winner! Thanks for sharing!

TeaLady said...

Eggplant parm is one of my favs, but hate having to fry the eggplant first. Thanks for sharing this. Next time - this is the one.