Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Salad de Barbacoa


The only thing I know of barbacoa is what they serve at Chipotle, although I'm not sure I've ever had that since I usually get the chicken.  
But I saw this at Food.People.Want and bookmarked it right away.  

It actually reminds me a lot of PW's spicy shredded pork that I love so much, just done with beef.  Beef...pork...so hard to choose a favorite!  It's like trying to choose your favorite child...maybe you just shouldn't!

It was hard for me to take a decent picture of a bowl full of meat without out it looking kinda blech, but here's a snippet.




I chose to have mine on a bed of greens, along with some of that pineapple-pepper relish that I had left over, but the rest of the family had theirs taco style.  Either way, I think we all loved it.

Here is the recipe from their website:


INGREDIENTS

  • 1/3 cup  cider vinegar
  • 3 tablespoons lime juice
  • 3-4 canned chipotle chiles, no adobo  (I couldn't find any that were not in adobo, so I just rinsed them thoroughly...it was still good!)
  • 4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
  • 3 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 2 teaspoons dried Mexican oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons table salt or 3 teaspoons Kosher
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 4 pounds boneless chuck roast, excess fat removed
  • 3/4 cup chicken broth, plus more as needed
  • 3 bay leaves
  • 20 warm corn tortillas
  • Diced white onion, chopped cilantro and lime wedges for garnish

METHOD

  1. Preheat the oven to 275°.
  2. Combine the cider vinegar, lime juice, chipotle chiles, garlic cloves, cumin, oregano, clove, black pepper and salt in the bowl of a food processor or blender and puree until completely smooth — about a minute or so.  Transfer the spice paste to a bowl and set aside.
  3. Dry the roast all over with paper towels, cut away any excess fat and slice the meat into 4 evenly sized pieces.  Heat the 2 tablespoons of oil in a very large pot set over high heat until it begins to shimmer.  Working in batches if necessary, sear the beef on all sides until deeply browned, about 10 minutes.
  4. Add the chile puree to the pot and stir until the beef is well-coated.  Add the chicken stock and bay leaves and bring the liquid to a boil.  Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover the lid with tin foil and add the lid to create a very tight seal.  Place the pot in the oven and braise the meat for 5-6 hours, removing the lid during the last hour or so to allow the simmering liquid to reduce slightly. Allow the beef to cool slightly, spoon off any easily removable fat from the braising liquid and then use two forks to pull/shred the beef into bite size pieces.
  5. Taste and adjust as necessary for seasonings.  Serve spooned onto warm corn tortillas topped with diced white onion, chopped cilantro and lime wedges for garnish.

13 comments:

Rachel said...

I love the barbacoa at Chipotle, so if this tastes anything like that, I bet it was delicious. What a great idea to use it in salad. Yum!

grace said...

you can keep your tilapia--i want me some red meat! yes, a honkin' bowl of shredded meat might not appeal to some, but i think it's purty. i also love your relish--great addition!

♥peachkins♥ said...

pineapple pepper relish sounds great!

The JR said...

We are meatatrians too! Looks good.

Joie de vivre said...

Pretty!!!!

La Bella Cooks said...

Definitely love the flavors going on in the beef and it is perfectly paired with your pineapple relish. I would definitely love to dive right into this!

~~louise~~ said...

Sure looks good to me. I bet it was GREAT with that Pineapple Pepper Relish. This is a new dish to me; must investigate:)

Thanks for sharing, Julie.

BTW, I'm playing an April Fool's Day game at my blog today, drop by if you get a second.

Mimi said...

This really looks good. I like that you served it as a salad.
Mimi

Kim said...

This is one of those salads that I would actually look forward to eating! It looks delicious.

Joanne said...

The word barbacoa alone is bringing on a serious chipotle craving. Not to mention that picture. Which has my mouth. Watering.

Reeni said...

The meat looks really good - so flavorful! Great idea to make a salad - looks delicious!

amycaseycooks said...

Fantastic! I love all the flavors of this recipe and can't wait to give it a try.

I see tacos, enchiladas, tostadas.....

Alicia Foodycat said...

That looks delicious! I don't think the bowl of meat looks blech, I think it looks fall-apart gorgeous!