Monday, March 29, 2010

Spicy Tilapia with Pineapple-Pepper Relish


Found this one at My Recipes.  I'm always a little leery about trying to prepare fish, but this turned out pretty good.


I especially loved this relish made with fresh pineapple, tomatoes, onions, and cilantro.  I thought it went perfect with the fish.  The fish was a little spicy (as the title suggests) but my son just loved it too.


Here are the how to's:

Ingredients
  • 2  teaspoons  canola oil
  • 1  teaspoon  Cajun seasoning
  • 1/4  teaspoon  kosher salt
  • 1/4  teaspoon  ground red pepper
  • 4  (6-ounce) tilapia fillets
  • 1 1/2  cups  chopped fresh pineapple chunks
  • 1/3  cup  chopped onion
  • 1/3  cup  chopped plum tomato
  • 2  tablespoons  rice vinegar
  • 1  tablespoon  chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1  small jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
  • 4  lime wedges

Preparation

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Combine Cajun seasoning, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Sprinkle fish evenly with spice mixture. Add fish to pan, and cook for 2 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork or until desired degree of doneness.
Combine pineapple and next 5 ingredients (through jalapeño) in a large bowl, stirring gently. Serve pineapple mixture with fish. Garnish with lime wedges.

I received a nice surprise from the people at Quorn this week.  It's a way cool measuring spoon with 3 sides with a different measurement on each side.  Nice way to have less clutter in your kitchen drawer. 
Not that I would know what that's about.



And lastly, a new family member arrived at our house today.  A lime tree!  I'm awfully excited, I think I'm going to call him baby limey.  But that would be stupid, so I'm just going to call it a tree.  I have no idea how long it takes to bear fruit.  But I'll be dreaming of lime pies and possibly margaritas until then!

19 comments:

Mimi said...

It's nice to dress-up fish and the peppers and pineapple sounds delicious. Good luck with you new tree.
Mimi

The Blonde Duck said...

I'm always looking for new fish recipes. Yum!

~~louise~~ said...

Congrats on the "new arrival." How exciting. I bet it won't be long before you'll be making Tilapia with your own citrus tang:) I love the name Baby Limey:) Pucker is cute too:)

GREAT recipe. The relish sounds right up my alley.

Thanks for sharing...

So funny, verification word is Winklen...

Sarah Naveen said...

wow!! i love this recipe...
Congrats on the gift :)

The JR said...

Yummy! I can see how those ingredients add up to be a great recipe.

Kim said...

Looks like you got back on the wagon with this fish;D I love the pineapple-pepper relish, it really livens up the plate and makes it look pretty.

The lime tree is really cool. I wonder how long it will take to get some limes?

Tiffany @ Eat at Home said...

The fish sounds really good. I'll have to give it a try. Good luck with the lime tree!

Reeni said...

This is so fresh and delicious looking with that colorful relish! Yay for the lime tree!

teresa said...

great dish! i love the contrasting flavors! your tree is so cute!

tasteofbeirut said...

looks light and delicious, perfect for this weather (here we have 70F and up) so glad you tried it and paved the way!

Mary Bergfeld said...

This looks so fresh and delicious. It makes it almost easy to get back with the program. The lime tree shows a sense of possibility :-). I hope it will quickly become a probability. Have a great day...Mary

Joanne said...

I hope we'll be seeing some key lime pie from that lime tree! So excited for you.

Tilapia is a great fish but a little bland at times. You definitely spiced it up with that relish. Great dish!

Kristina said...

WOW! This looks totally yummy! I have tilapia in the freezer and I may just have to make this! Yummy! Stopping by from SITS!

Karen said...

I want a lime tree! LOL How lucky you are - it will be so much fun to pick your own limes. I don't think citrus would grow in our frozen north :(

Nella said...

I have a lime tree. I got it for Mother's Day a couple of years ago. It bears fruit once a year, usually between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I have to bring it indoors around October and will take it back out in May. I hope you enjoy yours. Oh yeah, thanks for stopping by the Gravy Company!

Shelley said...

Just those photos made me hungry! And how fun to have a lime tree! Margaritas are the perfect summer drink!

Pam said...

The relish sounds so amazing...I am sure it was wonderful on top of the fish.

Deborah said...

This looks so delicious and fresh!

Pamela said...

This looks really, really good!