Wednesday, September 9, 2009

various & assorted

Where do I come up with these post titles? It's a gift, they just come to me.
Seriously, have you made Pioneer Woman's chocolate sheet cake? It's so awesomely good, you owe it to yourself, and your pancreas. What else has he got to do anyway? He's just laying around like a fat slob. Make him earn the right to hang out with you...put him to work!
It has so much butter, and so much sugar. I think there's probably some sort of a law against it. But it's quick , and easy, and just amazing. Mine has lumps on top because I'm in too much of a hurry to sift the powdered sugar. And I don't use the pecans she calls for because I like mine unadulterated. Straight up chocolate...no filler.
For dinner tonight I made Tiffany of Eat at Home's chicken tortilla soup. Me and the girl loved it.
I've made Rachael Ray's version before as well, but I dare say this is easier and just as good. And I love that she makes her own tortilla strips to put in there!
Also had some fried yellow squash, which I haven't had for ages. Another blast from the past for me.
I make it just like my mom did, which didn't involve dipping it in any egg or milk first. I think those things grossed her out. She just dipped the slices in some water then flopped them around in the seasoned cornmeal before frying them. They taste great to me!
She also gave me saccharin laced tea every day to drink. Which could have possibly altered my taste buds, but whatever. I won't even go into the amount of second hand smoke I've inhaled. Gotta keep some of the skeletons in the closet.
Don't forget about my wacky little giveaway...it ends Saturday night.

20 comments:

Lauren said...

These look soooo good! I must make the cake. I'm always on the look out for a good sugar-coma-inducing dessert! And even though I have a quick chicken tortilla soup recipe, I'm always looking for variations. It's one of my favorites. :)

Monica H said...

You're killing me. That cake looks so good. i've been meaning to make it for some time but there are just so many recipes out there!

My pancreas is a fat slob too. We must be related.

♥peachkins♥ said...

WOW! That cake just calls to me. Who doesn't love chocolate?

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

I lurve Pdub. I have not made the sheet cake though. (and I would do it without the pecans, too...if I made it!) I have done so many of her other recipes - apple dumplings, brisket, twice baked potatoes, chicken spaghetti, Thanksgiving stuffing, mashed potatoes, and I am sure there is more that is not coming to mind. I do plan on doing the oven baked ribs soon...

The JR said...

Food looks fantastic. I love fried squash too.
Ramona

Marta said...

hahahaha yes, this cake should be made illegal! Looks great and delicious, though... so I may break the law!

noble pig said...

The cake, the cake...I need it.

Cucinista said...

Mmm... going into sugar shock just reading.

Katy ~ said...

Don't you just love PW? All her recipes look just amazing, including this one. Wish I had a crowd to feed so I could have it.

Great about about how to cook the squash. I'll have to try that next time.

Kim said...

LOL - you crack me up : ) I also love my baked good to be unadulterated. I can't be bothered with nuts all the time : O I love the soup, I think there's another version on the front cover of the Food Network mag - Yum! I haven't had any yellow squash this summer, but I'm going to rectify that real soon with Paula's squash casserole.

Krista said...

Everything looks delicious! I'm a big fan of fried zucchini. That's how my mom made it too! Your fried squash looks so good!

valentine said...

i LOVE fried okra, but haven't tried squash, sounds delish

Captain Dumbass said...

This post is truly evil.

teresa said...

where do i begin?? i really love that sheetcake, adn the soup looks so comforting!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

LOL, you have such a great sense of humor! I just sound dumb.

I don't like chocolate but I've heard that cake is a true winner. The soup sounds delish, too.

Happy Friday!
~ingrid

Donna-FFW said...

Every single item you posted looks delicious!!

A Fist Full of Dandelions said...

That cake looks awesome! Actually, the soup does too!


Thanks for stopping by!

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

Jule, I just happened on your blog and I am glad I did. I love it. It has a homey feel to it.

As far favorites, honestly, I coulod not have one, yet but that Texas sheet cake got my attention, immediately. I was going to comment on that when I say your giveaway.

I plan to be back soon. I like it here.

Sherri Murphy said...

Cake looks delicious and I must try that soup!

Anonymous said...

Mmmm.... that chocolate cake looks heavenly!