Friday, September 4, 2009

Pear Crisp with Lemon Sauce

Happy September everyone!
Boy am I ready for Fall. Not that we'll have a real fall with crunchy leaves and the smell of bonfires, but hopefully a break in the relentless heat.
I was looking for a dessert to make, opened an old magazine (Better Homes and Gardens Comfort Cooking), and turned right to this and said "that's the one". Just because the pears and the yummy topping seem very autimnish to me.
I didn't get any pictures of the process of the lemon sauce, it's a little fast and furious. In fact I ruined the first batch. Too much corn starch perhaps. It was just a yellow glop. But I'm glad I tried again, because it really was worth it. I recommend not skipping that step!
Ingredients:
5 cups peels and sliced baking pears (bosc)
1 tbsp sugar
3/4 tsp finely shredded lemon peel
2/3 cup regular rolled oats
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/4 tsp cardamom (I used cinnamon)
1/4 cup butter
1/3 cup sliced almonds
1/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp cornstarch
1/2 cup water
1 egg yolk
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp lemon juice
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375degrees. In 2 quart baking dish, combine pears, 1 tbsp sugar, and 1/4 lemon peel. Toss together.
2. For topping, combine oats, brown sugar, flour, cardamom, and 1/4 lemon peel. Cut in 1/4 cup butter with pastry blender till mixture is coarse and crumbly. Stir in almonds. Sprinkle topping over fruit.
3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, in small saucepan, combine 1/4 cup sugar, and 2 tbsp cornstarch. Stir in 1/2 cup water. Cook and stir over med. heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from heat.
In small bowl, beat egg yolk. Stir in a little of the hot mixture. Return all egg yolk mixture to saucepan. Cook and stir over low heat until nearly bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Remove from heat.
Stir in 1 tbsp butter, lemon juice, and the remaining 1/4 tsp lemon peel. Serve warm over crisp.
In other news...
I've won a couple of giveaways lately!
From Jersey Girl Cooks I won this book.
Can't wait to read it!
And from Three Bay B Chicks I won this CD.
I'd heard of this guy but wasn't sure what kind of music he did.
He sounds a little like Barry Manilow to me. (yes, that's a compliment)

21 comments:

Monica H said...

congrats on your giveaways! I love me some Buble!

I also love that plate of crumb ingredients. Yummy and definielty "autumnish". Or as Martha would say "autumnal". When I first heard her say that, I said "Martha, you should know better, that's not a word!" Turns out it is :-)

Anonymous said...

yummy!

Cucinista said...

Love the addition of the lemon sauce.

♥peachkins♥ said...

the lemon sauce sounds heavenly...

John Deere Mom said...

Oh, THANK YOU! I have pears coming out my ears and I don't know what to do with them!!! Now I have a recipe! Thanks! :)

teresa said...

oh this looks just beautiful! perfect for fall!

valentine said...

what a perfectly perfect fall desert!

Reeni said...

How delicious this is with pears! I've had lots of crisps but I don't think I've ever had a pear one. What a treat!

Anonymous said...

I'm ready for the fall too and bought a bunch of pears! Your pear crisp sounds fantastic!

Kim said...

Love the pear crisp with a lemon sauce, great for fall or even just cooler weather. Don't ya wish fall would last longer? So many great things to cook, so little time.

Katy ~ said...

I am going to HAVE to make this!!!!

Aggie said...

Oh that looks perfect to me! I love crisps and crumbles...I'll have to try this one!

noble pig said...

Cornstarch can break down in acidic situations, that culd have been what happened. Sounds yummy though!

Colleen said...

I love any kind of crisp - and I am anxious for fall too so pear sounds great!

Krista said...

I'm glad you're getting some cooler weather! This sounds delicious. I'm a big fan of fruit crisps and although I've never tried it with pear, after reading this I'd like to!

theUngourmet said...

Looks just perfect for fall! :0)

Susie said...

That looks so yummy!! My pears are almost done! I can't wait to try this:-)

Emily W said...

Visiting from SITS
This pear crisp looks very yummy!

Jhonny walker said...

Peaches-- and a sauce...lovely . I am getting into all these blogs to learn baking...Your blog is definitely in. Thanks!

Jhonny walker said...

Peaches-- and a sauce...lovely . I am getting into all these blogs to learn baking...Your blog is definitely in. Thanks!

heather@actingbalanced.com said...

I know this is one of your older recipes, but pears were on sale at Publix last week and since I bought lots, I made this recipe and am sharing it as part of my MMMonday recipe line up on my blog...

Hope you get some traffic from it :)