Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Strawberry Topped Muffins, and etc....

Can't remember where I stole this recipe from...sorry.
I didn't feel right calling them "strawberry muffins" since the berries aren't incorporated throughout the batter. This particular recipe just has you add them on top after you put the batter in the cups.
I like a little bit of muffin with my butter.
Here's the recipe:
  • 1/2 cup butter or margarine, room temperature
  • 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1 cup fresh or frozen strawberries, sliced
  • granulated sugar for topping

Preparation:

Grease 12 muffin cups or line with paper muffin liners.

In a large mixing bowl with an electric hand-held mixer on high setting, cream butter and sugar; beat in eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Blend in vanilla extract.

In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

With a wooden spoon, stir flour mixture into creamed mixture. Gradually stir in lemon peel and buttermilk until dry ingredients are just moistened; do not over-mix. Spoon batter into prepared muffin pan, filling each muffin cup about 2/3 full. Evenly spoon sliced strawberries onto the center of each muffin and sprinkle each with a little granulated sugar.

Bake strawberry muffins at 350° for 18 to 20 minutes. Cool in pan on rack for 5 minutes. Gently turn strawberry muffins onto the rack. Serve strawberry muffins warm.

bonus: I actually got 18, rather than 12 muffins out of this recipe!
I also recently made the pumpkin bread I saw at Leslie's site, The Hungry Housewife.
It was super moist, and yummy, and I loved the toasted walnuts in there.
Mine turned out a little flat so I'll just call it pumpkin cake!

26 comments:

Leslie said...

I love the muffin with you butter!!!
And thanks for the shout out. I am glad you enjoyed my yummy bread!
Wonder why it was flat. Baking is such a weird science!
Thanks for the shout out!

Sherri Murphy said...

Both recipes look great!

Julie said...

had to go back an edit...I didn't spell strawberry right...duh!

Miranda said...

My friends make fun of me because I have "Muffin Mondays" LOL I bake muffins on Sunday nights to have for Monday morning breakfast for the whole family.
Those look great. I LOVE topping 'em with blueberries!

The JR said...

I'll take one with butter too! All of it looks good.

Ramona

Jhonny walker said...

I recently bought a few cupcake cones--but was not sure what to make. Thanks for making up my mind :)

Julie said...

Mya, I wouldn't make fun of you...I'd just be at your house every monday morning!

The Blonde Duck said...

All muffins shoudl come with lots of butter.

And thanks for the b-day wishes!

The Food Hunter said...

I love pumpkin bread!

Monica H said...

The muffins are pretty with the strawberrie son top, but it's that pumpkin bread that's calling my name!

Karine said...

Your muffins sound delicious! Thanks for sharing :)

Tiffany @ Eat at Home said...

The bread and the muffins look great. I love muffins. They're way better than cupcakes.

theUngourmet said...

Your muffins are so pretty and that bread/cake looks moist, dense and delicious! Love pumpkin bread!

noble pig said...

Okay, now I need dessert! Beautiful!

♥peachkins♥ said...

those muffins look really good with those strawberries on top of 'em..

love lives in the kitchen said...

i love both: muffins and strawberries! need to try this recipe!
have a lovely day!
justyna

grace said...

it's sad to me that strawberries aren't used more often in baked goods. it seems like they're always trumped by bananas and blueberries and raspberries and apples, but they're so pretty and delicious! great muffins!

Small House said...

Looks delicious!!! I think even I could make the muffins!!!

Your daughters bedroom looks great. Colors are fun and happy. I'm sure she loves it.

Have a great day.
Sandra

Kim said...

I love the strawberries on top. Bring on the butter!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful muffins, so yummy with the strawberries!

Katy ~ said...

I would love both of these. I'm a buttah-lovah too!!

teresa said...

the muffins looks so good, as does your blog, cute!

Gretchen said...

Looks delicious! Love your blog as well!

Gretchen said...

Looks delicious! Love your blog as well!

Pam said...

Both look really tasty, especially your pumpkin "cake".

Ingrid_3Bs said...

I like a bit of muffin with my butter too!

You sharing your pumpkin cake?
~ingrid