Sunday, September 7, 2008

Fried Chocolate Pies

When I reminisce about my childhood, many things come to mind. Family vacations in the Greek Isles, autumns in Kennebunkport, and weekend getaways to Martha's Vineyard. Oh, wait...that's not my childhood. Thinking of *my* childhood makes me think of the fried chocolate pies my mama used to make. (and fried lots of other things too, but that's another story) I have made a few half-hearted attempts to recreate them over the years, without a lot of success. What was really intimidating me was the stinkin' pie crust. I just couldn't bring myself to want to make a bunch of pie crust for a bunch of little pies. But, if I was gonna make fried pies, it was something I was gonna have to do. So this weekend I decided to take the bull by the horns and really try to give it my best shot. And overall, I think I did okay. So here in my first ever step-by-step pictorial direction-ified recipe, is my mom's fried chocolate pies. First the crust. I searched around and found this recipe on cooks.com that was specifically for fried pies. My only complaint was that it said it made 40, and I only got 14. (not that I thought I needed 40 pies, I'm just sayin...) Otherwise, it was great! Very soft and stretchy, super easy to work with, especially for a pie crust novice like myself. I threw all the listed ingredients into the food processor and combined it till it looked like this:

  Then I took about half out and dumped it onto a floured surface, rolled it into a circle type shape like so: Then I took a saucer that's about 6 inches diameter and cut a couple of circles. Which brings us to the fillings. I mixed together unsweetened cocoa and sugar (in no specific measurements) till I liked the way it looked. Of course the taste test was involved as well. Along side this I had my butter and vanilla ready to go. I filled half of one of the pie crust circles with the cocoa mixture, then a few drips of vanilla, and some thin slices of butter. I folded that over and crimped the edges with a fork. At his point he was ready to fry. I had my iron skillet sitting over med-low heat and had added enough shortening to have about 1/2 inch in the pan. I gently place my first pie in the skillet, and let it get brown on the first side, about 2-3 minutes: Then the flip side.
Then it was all finished and ready to drain on a paper towel. Overall, I thought they were pretty darn good. It really did take me back. So if you'd like to relive my childhood, make up a batch of these. Even the hula girl likes it, see how happy it makes her!

12 comments:

Ironjack said...

Love the pics, esp the bobble hula girl. Looks yummy (saying a lot from someone that doesn't like chocolate.)

Julie said...

Thanks for visiting...I thought the hula girl was a nice addition. Hubby's idea of course :)

Lunch Buckets said...

I'm having a hard time remembering exactly what I ever liked about you. I could have probably gone another 10 years without thinking about fried pies. Until now. But I want peach. The kind made with dried peaches. And I pretty much want them right. freakin'. now.

Julie said...

Well, see, that's just wrong. If you add fruit you might get some element of healthiness and that would ruin everything!
But I love you anyway.

Anonymous said...

Well now you are both in trouble, cause I also want dried peach fried pies--and instead of the chocolate pies, I want CHOCOLATE ROLLS!!! lunch buckets mom:)

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

Just found your blog. Nice recipes! I am terrible making pie dough so maybe I will try your method to improve on my skills. Delicious dessert!

Julie said...

Well, I'm not sure what a chocolate roll is, but I'm pretty sure I want one.

Lunch Buckets said...

For chocolate rolls you roll out the pie crust dough and sprinkle on the cocoa/sugar stuff and the butter dots then you roll them up - kinda like fat cigars. Or peni. Then bake them. They are not my favorite.

shweetpotato said...

Do you think this dough could be used for meat pies also? Your crispy browned pies look awesome :D I love your blog, Carm

Julie said...

I think it might work okay for meat pies....I guess if there's very much sugar in the recipe just leave it out.
Thanks for the nice comment...it makes my day!

Arlette said...

iam sure these make my husband dance... he just loves anything chocolaty..
thanks for visiting,, and you are welcome any time for a tasting party

Arlette said...

and I forgot to mention , I am going to try your pineapple as soon as I go to the store...
and get some pineapple (its 24 below zero today... i dont think today is the good day)