Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Blog Party!

Two yummy foods for the price of one in this post!

I got the chance to get together with a couple of people from work a few days ago for a non-work related visit. I mentioned I'd been wanting to try this scone recipe, and Janice made us a yummy orzo salad, so lunch it was :) Although I was never quite able to nail her down on the recipe I think it went a little something like this one from epicurious (with the addition of some cherry tomatoes, halved): 1 lb orzo 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice 1/2 cup olive oil 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted 1 1/4 cups feta (6 oz), crumbled 1 cup thinly sliced scallion greens Cook orzo in a 6- to 8-quart pot of boiling salted water until tender, then drain well in a colander. Whisk together lemon juice, oil, and salt and pepper to taste in a large bowl, then add hot orzo and toss. Cool orzo, then toss with pine nuts, feta, and scallion greens. Season with salt and pepper. It was quite tasty...I love those pine nuts in there! Next was the apricot orange scones. (oddly enough, I learned that scones are pretty much just biscuits....go figure!) The recipe is from Ina Garten, and the original contained cranberries (which I'm sure would be lovely).

Aren't they cute like buttons? I found the dough really sticky to work with and kept having to add flour, but it seemed to work out okay. I'll definitely want to make these again soon. Monday perhaps!

You can click here for the recipe. I'll have to say I didn't bake mine quite that long (more like 15 minutes) partly because I rolled my dough out a bit thinner, and partly because my oven is possessed by satan.

With the combination of pleasant company, lovely food, and cute babies, I had a really nice afternoon and we're hoping to make this a regular happening.

No comments: