Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Stuffed Mushrooms

This a copykat recipe from the Olive Garden, which I didn't completely copykat (details to follow). I took a lot of pics so I thought I'd do a step-by-step, just cause I want to be like the cool kids!
The recipe starts with 8-12 baby bellas. I used more because I'm an over-achiever. (I'll stop here and let you snicker a bit)
Turn the little babies over and viciously rip out the stems. I use a lot of paper towels when I make stuff. Please don't tell anyone from Greenpeace.
RR says I shouldn't wash my mushrooms, but she's already lost my trust, so these guys got a bath.
Gather up some minced garlic (1/2 tsp), garlic salt (1/8 tsp), oregano (1 tsp), melted butter (1 tbsp), and one green onion finely chopped. I should mention here that I doubled everything since I had more mushrooms than the recipe called for.

At this point the recipe says to add 6 oz of canned clams and save the juice, but I don't do clams. But if it makes you happy, then throw them in.

I added bacon! (a large handful) Bacon makes me happy.

Now we are to add Italian bread crumbs (1/2 cup), 1 beaten egg, and 1/4 cup clam juice. Well, I don't really like clam juice much more than I like clams so I had to come up with a substitution. I was thinking chicken broth, but didn't have any. I had some 3 day old cold coffee sitting here, or maybe some fruit punch flavored Crystal Light? Then I spotted a bottle of white wine and decided that was my best option.

To this add grated Parmesan (2 tbsp), grated Romano (1 tbsp), and grated mozzarella (2 tbsp), and mix all together.
Place approximately 1 1/2 teaspoons of the stuffing mixture inside mushroom cavity and slightly mound. Place the stuffed mushrooms in slightly oiled baking dish and pour 1/4 cup melted butter over the top of the mushrooms. Cover and place in oven for about 35- 40 minutes. Remove cover; sprinkle 1/4 cup freshly grated mozzarella cheese on top and pop back in oven just so the cheese melts slightly.

The finished product. My review: meh, they're ok.

29 comments:

James said...

Love stuffed mushrooms.

You can peel the outside skin - that removes soil without having to wash them.

Try blue cheese and cooked leeks inside. Just those two things. Oh maybe bacon too. With the breadcrumbs it might be a bit too bready.

Small House said...

I made stuffed mushrooms saturday night. I'll have to give these a try. Still have some mushrooms!
Have a great day!

Ironjack said...

What didn't you like about them?

Julie said...

I dunno...I didn't NOT like them. Just didn't make me leap for joy or anything :)

Colleen said...

Hi Julie! Thanks for visiting my blog! I love stuffed mushrooms and am always looking for variations on them. Even though you didn't love these I like the flavors happening here!

The Blonde Duck said...

They look great though!

rebel said...

Mmmm these look good. I've had olive garden's stuffed mushrooms and I'm definitely gonna try these. Thaks for the recipe. Also thanks for stoppin' by my blog. I've been readin' yours and you have a great blog.
I'm livin' in SW MO, about 45 minutes east of Springfield. The Ozarks are a great place to live. We drive down into Arkansas a lot, it's a beautiful state too.

Erica said...

I love your blog! I suddenly feel inspired to get in the kitchen and cook something yummy after looking at your pictures!

Anonymous said...

Oh come on, they were better than okay weren't they?

Anonymous said...

I love the smell of mushrooms, just can't handle the texture - yours look good though!

Julie said...

I have to admit when I ate these, I wasn't truly hungry from too much sampling while I made these and that stupid cheese stuff. They really weren't too bad (heck, they had bacon in them), I just wasn't quite in the mood.

Sara said...

Too bad they weren't great, they sure look good!

Joie de vivre said...

Just okay? Oh man, I love a good stuffed mushroom. And I just wanted to tell you that you are one of the cool kids. :)

Julie said...

Haha...Me cool? I have somebody fooled :P

Anonymous said...

Hey Welcome Wagon SITSta! You had me at Olive Garden.. which was good because you are freekin' hysterical lol. Love your humor.

Lunch Buckets said...

My guess is they needed some clams. And maybe a little reserved juice.

Julie said...

That thought did cross my mind.

Sarah J. said...

I think my husband would love those, I'll have to give it a try sometime! Those pics are so helpful, makes me think I might be able to do it since I am a visual learner!

Lori said...

Those look great....

Thanks for the warm welcome to SITS..
Come by any time..
I've never heard of Joann's..

Lilly said...

You are hilarious. I might give these a try I like the look of them!

Tiffany said...

These might cause me to try mushrooms. They look pretty good and not real scary.

Captain Dumbass said...

Um... something about mushrooms... sorry, can't get past your banner pic. As soon as they popped up I had to fight from licking the screen.

Brandy said...

I'll just pretend I don't hate mushrooms and say they look delicious! (not)

I checked out some of your other recipes though and they really DO look delicious! LOL!

Stopping in to say HI! from one Welcomista to another.

Rachael Schirano \\ Rachael Schirano Photography said...

they look good! i have a stuffed recipe from jamie oliver that i love! there is sausage and pine nuts, raisins and bread crumbs. soooo good!

saying hello to a fellow welcomista!

The Rambler said...

That was the BEST cooking explanation EVER! :)

Fellow wagonista stopping by to say hello! And so glad I did!

Tiffany said...

Came over to click, man, I love me some stuffed mushrooms!!!

Lesley said...

Oh lord....you had me at Stuffed Mushrooms....those look amazing...and I think I'd eat the whole batch...by myself.....yum....

Anonymous said...

I think they look great! Thanks so much for your comments on my blog!

Sandy said...

Okay, they look yummy!