Monday, February 23, 2009

And Now For Something Completely Different

You may have noticed the things I like to cook aren't necessarily "calorie conscious" or "figure friendly". I have, in the past, endeavored to consume things they don't make my ass quite as large. And when I was in that mindset I ran across someone called the Hungry Girl. Her website is chock full of ideas for lower fat/calorie substitutions and new products for people trying to lose weight.
I was very happy to receive her new cookbook as a Christmas gift this year. I had kinda had my eye on it for a while.
(is someone trying to tell me something?)

I hadn't had a chance to try any of the recipes because I've been busy cooking butter-laden, cheese filled monstrosities that are still residing in my arteries as we speak. (Well, maybe not, I've been taking my zocor.) I decided today was the day to give it a whirl and picked a yummy sounding recipe that only has 4 ingredients....that's my kind of cookin'!

(the pie filling was supposed to be light so I wrote it on there with a sharpie...that's okay, right?)

Ooey Gooey Chocolate Cherry Muffins

1 box of No Pudge Original Fat Free Brownie Mix

1 cup Fiber One bran cereal, crushed

2/3 cup light cherry pie filling

1/4 cup light vanilla soymilk

Preheat oven to 400.

In a bowl (duh) mix all ingredients together. Place batter evenly into a 12 cup muffin pan sprayed with Pam or lined with baking cups. Bake for 20 minutes.

I thought they turned out kinda pretty, were definitely easy. They had a nice fudgey consistency, and the cherries gave it a nice zing. And, when you slice into it you can see the fiber cereal in there like a bunch of little worms :)

Here's the nutrition info for anyone following along at home: Each muffin has....131 calories; 3.5 gm fiber, and ,0.5 g fat.

I doubt these low fat muffins will make up for the dinner I'm going to have that is probably worth 3000 weight watcher points.

24 comments:

Days of Whine & Noses said...

I have been eyeing that book myself..I am a HUGE Cooking Light Magazine & cookbook fan! After seeing these, I just might give in and buy it now!

Check out my blog for some great family friendly Cooking Light Recipes :)

Anonymous said...

No secret message there. I'm not known for subtlety, am I? If I were intent on conveying such a thing, I would have purchased you a book called "Recipes to Make Your Ass Less Large".

In the immortal words of Spinal Tap:
Big bottom, big bottom.
Talk about mud flaps, my girl's got 'em.
Big bottoms drive me out of my mind.
How could I leave this behind?

Julie said...

You always make me (and my ass) feel so special.

Reeni said...

They look dark, rich and chocolaty! Perfect for helping my ass shrink!

Patricia said...

good for you actually using a recipe out of a new cookbook. I always drool over them and get them as gifts but have yet to even make up one recipe. I use online recipe finders more. *L*

They look delicious. :)

James said...

Yumlington.

Guilt free eating huh? I've got another idea - don't feel the guilt in the first place. So much easier :)

Anonymous said...

Those muffins look great!!! I enjoy reading your blog - you are quite funny!

Tiffany said...

I've got Sharpie in hand and I'm opening my pantry right now to write "Light" on everything in there.

Anonymous said...

I know, it's like ordering a diet coke with supersized meal...oh well, life is just too short to care! They look delicious!

LisaLisa said...

Hi,I'm a friend of the wonderful Muse and I have just posted a blog about her..please drop by and show her your support and love. Thanks and yes I will be back what a Wonderful blog :)))

LaFleur said...

I know the hungry girl, but I love the sharpie trick. Do you just shake the box to let the calories fall out? :)

Brindi said...

Are they selling "Recipes to Make Your Ass less Large"? I really could use a copy.

I have tried several "Hungry Girl" recipes. Most of them are okay. Everything is okay if you have been eating salad.

Julie said...

Maybe my husband can write that cookbook and make a fortune. I'm sure he'll quote lots of Spinal Tap in it.

Anonymous said...

Oh, these look so good - I love chocolate and cherry!

Kristen said...

You should've writte in "Calorie Free" in stead of "Light".
Happy Belated Clicky Love Day! Click...click...

Mrs. Jelly Belly said...

I laughed out loud at writing "Light" on the can with a sharpie. Good idea!

I'm surprised this recipe didn't have Fiber One in it. She's gone kind of crazy with that stuff since they started sponsoring her. LOL

Anonymous said...

Lol!

You only live once, I'd kick myself if I died without eating chocolate because I was 'too worried' I'd grow a second butt!

I am Harriet said...

Hi there.
Just stopping by from SITS to say hello.
Have a great day!

said...

That is a great-looking recipe!

Stopping by from Welcomistas. :o)

Brandy said...

I bought that book when it came out last year. And have yet to make one recipe in it.

Thanks for the review...although I don't know if I will like the "wormies" in these.

Cher said...

Love how the recipe suggests other recipes to try! also left some clicky love!

Laura said...

Those look good not sure about the bran worms though that might keep me from eating the whole batch(a good thing?). Swinging in and spreading blogger bailout clicks of love. Laura

Judah said...

you had me at ooeey goey and chocolate

Kari @ A Giveaway Addicted Mommy said...

Little worms??? I may have to pass... :)

thanks for stopping my by blog!