Monday, December 8, 2008

One Of The Good Ones

My dad passed away this Friday and I felt it only fitting that I should say a few words about him on my blog. I'm very fortunate to say that we always enjoyed a good relationship and he's definitely someone I can say I am proud was my dad. He wasn't perfect of course. He thought ALL sandwiches and burgers should be slathered in mayo. That's just wrong, but we were able to work around that. He worked hard to provide for his family and to be able to send me to school, so I'm able to do the same. I didn't realize at the time what a gift that truly was, but now that I'm older, I do. He was never ashamed or afraid to share his faith in God with the people he would meet. And not in a way that the person would feel like he was shoving it down their throat. I can honestly say there are more than a few people he touched in an eternal way. It's hard losing a parent at any age, but knowing that he always knew I loved him (even if we were disagreeing about something more substantial than mayonnaise) and vise versa helps. More than anything I know he would want people to know more about his faith. And secondly he would probably say, if you smoke...stop now!

11 comments:

LaFleur said...

Our prayers go out to you and your family.

Shelley said...

I'm sorry that you lost your dad. But it sounds like you know that you are going to see him again. You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers.
He sounds like a wonderful man.

Tiffany said...

I'm so sorry. My prayers are with you and your family.

Brindi said...

So sorry for your loss. Prayers for you and your family, espescially during the upcoming holidays.

Anonymous said...

Uncle Daddy will be greatly missed,he was someone i looked up to when I was young, he raised a wonderful daughter and will live on through her. You will always be in my thoughts and prayers.
Becky

shweetpotato said...

Im so sorry :( dont know what else to say , I am so bad with words :( Carm

Julie said...

thanks to everyone for all the kind words. I really appreciate it.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Oh Julie. I'm so, so sorry.

Anonymous said...

Gosh, so sorry to hear about your Dad. This must be a really rough time for you. I remember how hard it was when I lost my brother. My sympathies and prayers are with you.

debbie4565 said...

I just joined here. You know I love you and wish I could have been there.

Julie said...

Hi Debbie, thanks for coming by. I know you were thinking of us.