Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Beef Stroganoff

This was pretty good for a quick meal. The recipe called for broccoli in it, but I knew that would never work so I just served it on the side. I also used almost twice the meat it called for and a cheaper cut that turned out just fine. Here's the recipe:
3 cups dried wide noodles
3 cups broccoli spears
1/2 cup sour cream
1 1/2 tsp prepared horseradish (I skipped this too...not a big horseradish fan)
1/2 tsp snipped fresh dill
1 pound boneless beef rib-eye
1 small onion, cut into 1/2 inch slices
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tbsp. cooking oil
4 tsp all purpose flour
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 14 oz can beef broth
3 tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp worcestershire sauce
1. Cook noodles according to package directions. Add broccoli during last 5 minutes....drain and keep warm.
2. In a small bowl , stir together sour cream, horseradish, and dill. Chill until serving time.
3. Cut steak into bite size pieces. In a large skillet, cook half of the steak, onion and garlic in hot oil until onion is tender and steak is desired doneness. Remove from skillet. Add remaining steak and cook. Return all steak to skillet. Sprinkle flour and pepper over meat; stir to coat. Stir in beef broth, tomato paste, and worcestershire. Cook and stir until thick.
4. Divide noodles into serving bowls and top with steak mixture, and sour cream.
I really liked the flavor that the dill added to it. I think if I made it again I wouldn't add as much tomato paste...just cause.

3 comments:

Lilly said...

Oh yum that looks good. As I am trying to be more Martha like in my old age I am always looking for recipes. I will link to you now. Those donuts look delicious too!!

Julie said...

Hi Lilly,
Thanks for stopping by and linking me up!

Mandy said...

My boyfriend Jim would love this. Where did you find the recipe? He actually really likes the egg noodles, plain... not even with butter! yack! I just may give this one a shot I think he would really be thrilled! Thanks for posting.