Saturday, March 12, 2011

Going to the Dog....Treats

I've been planning for quite some time to try to make some homemade dog treats.  Today seemed like a good day to go forth and do just that, thanks to this guy...


Yep, there's a new kid in town.  We happened upon this little shelter not to far from us that rescues dogs from the county shelter just before their number is up, if you know what I mean.  They had a really nice selection of dogs, but this guy seemed to want to come home with us.  There's going to be quite a bit of adjustment between new dog and old dog, but we'll get there.  

Anyway, on with the treats.  


I found this recipe as Home of the Lazy Dog.  I decided to add some shredded carrot and apple, since my dog loves those things.  They smell really great baking, and it's nice feeding your dog something that you know what all the ingredients are!


Here's the recipe for ya...hope your pup will like it!  Both dogs here did.


2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 cup natural peanut butter
1 cup skim milk 
1 carrot, shredded
1 small apple, shredded

Mix dry ingredients. Add shredded carrot and apple.  Mix milk and peanut butter, separately. Combine. Roll out to 1/4" thickness and cut shapes. Prepare cookie sheets with non-stick spray. Bake at 385 degrees for about 20 minutes. Cool and store airtight in the refrigerator. Best if allowed to come to room temp first.


3 comments:

Joanne said...

Mmm I've been meaning to make treats for my dog and I'm sure she would love these!

The JR said...

He's a cute dog. Hope it works out.

Monica H said...

These sound great for the pooch. Mine really likes carrots too, but I never thought of sneaking in some apple. But she eats oranges, so why not?!

The next time I decide to get off my butt and bake her some cookies, I'll try these.