Monday, March 14, 2011

Brown Sugar Bacon

I know everyone's seen this around, sometimes known as Pig Candy. I can't quite bring myself to call it that, pretty much for the same reason I can't walk into a Fatburger.  But someone on Facebook was telling my husband he just had to try it, so I obliged. 


Yeah, mine got a little too crispy in places.  My mistake was not trusting the cooking time in the recipe and giving it a bit more.  When it comes out of the oven and the brown sugar cools off, it will be crispy enough. Live and learn.

Anyway, how did we like it? Let's just say it's something I should never ever make again. Because basically, I could eat the entire batch without a bit of help.  Even the burned parts!  

We served 'em up with waffles and called it a meal.



Here's the recipe based on the one from Deep South Dish.

Printer Friendly Recipe
Bacon
Brown Sugar (light or dark)

2 teaspoons of chili powder, or
    A few dashes of cayenne or red pepper


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a jelly roll pan with aluminum foil. You really don't want to skip this step - trust me. Place an oven safe rack on top and lightly spray it with some non-stick spray.

 Get a Ziploc storage bag, place some brown sugar in it.

Toss a few slices of bacon at a time in the ziploc bag them lay them across the rack.  Sprinkle a bit of the remaining sugar over the top.
Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 to 45 minutes


Take it out of the oven, hide in a closet, and pig out!

13 comments:

The JR said...

It sounds killer! Looks like something my hubby would luv.

Anonymous said...

We have this at least once a week...the next time you make it, after you take it out of the oven, pour a little maple syrup over it and let it sit for 5 minutes...it's candy at it's finest! xo, Nan

Lara said...

Mmmm, that looks amazing! My hubby, in particular, would go gaga over this!

Reeni said...

I wanted to try this for forever! I am afraid I would become seriously addicted!

Susan at www.ugogrrl.com said...

We love this! I have made it several times and cut it in bite size pieces for an appetizer. It is always a huge hit. My recipe is Sweet/Spicy Bacon but my mom calls it PIG CANDY!

Susan www.ugogrrl.com

teresa said...

i just gotta have that bacon!

Tiffanee said...

Oh man!! Bacon and sugar WOW!! Now drooling!! I could eat the whole thing by myself easy! Bookmarking it to make soon, but not when I am alone!! HA HA!

Amy said...

So good!! Sweet and slightly spicy bacon...mmmmm....

Joanne said...

This sounds dangerous. And amazing.

The Blonde Duck said...

This would be in the same category as pecan pie for me. If there's not other people around, I'm going to make myself sick eating the whole thing!

Karen said...

Now I *have* to try this!

Kim said...

This looks SO good! Definitely need to try this one day.

Liz said...

brown sugar and bacon belong together!