Thursday, April 8, 2010

Peppered Filet Mignon with Shallot Wine Sauce

I couldn't decide if this picture looked appetizing or not, but remembering this meal's tastiness level, I decided it was okay.


I recently had the chance to get a smokin' deal on some meat; so awesome I'm not even at liberty to talk about it.  There could be consequences.  Guido promised he would take it easy on my knee caps, though.  
forgive my gibberish please, I'm tired

I've never prepared filet mignon, so of course I had to turn to my good friend google.  Who in turn led me to this recipe on RecipeZaar.  The original recipe had some mushrooms in it, but I just didn't really want them in there, so just went a little heavier on the shallots.

This sauce, in my opinion, was just wonderful.  Kind of tangy and rich at the same time.  I don't know if you can tell in the pic, but the meat is laying on a bed of mashed potatoes, and I have to say the combination of the filet, potatoes, and sauce was just perfect. 

Here's the original recipe with the 'shrooms.  Do with them as you will.






Ingredients

STEAKS

WINE MUSHROOM SAUCE


Prepare Mushroom wine Sauce first and set aside: Combine Mushrooms and flour in a bowl and toss to coat and set aside.



  • In a medium skillet, combine wine, shallots, and balsamic vinegar.



  • Bring to a boil and cook until thickened.
    Reduce heat.

    Add broth, Worcestershire, tomato paste, and rosemary, stir to combine and cook 1 minute.

    Add mushrooms and cook 3 minutes, until mushrooms are tender.
    Stir in mustard.

    Serve sauce over Filet Mignon.

    Fillet Mignon: Sprinkle steak with crushed black pepper and salt.
    Heat a non stick skillet over medium high heat or grill over a medium heat.

    Cook steaks for 3-5 minutes on each side until fillet is cooked the way you like it.

    Serve with sauce.




    In retrospect, I was thinking it would have been more flavorful to reverse the process, and prepare the steaks first, then do the sauce in the same pan while you keep the steaks warm in the oven.  



    28 comments:

    Kathleen said...

    This looks incredible! YUM!

    ♥peachkins♥ said...

    I love steaks..the picture wanna make me take a bite out of the screen..

    The Blonde Duck said...

    I totally need steak now.

    Mimi said...

    What time is dinner?
    Even without the mushrooms it looks incredible.
    Mimi

    James said...

    Wow - was worth the wait then.

    Rather than putting in the oven to keep warm (would carry on cooking) I'd remove to a plate to rest the meat while make the sauce. Then you can drop the steak back in the sauce when ready to bring back to temperature 30 secs either side should do it or just flash in the oven for c. 3 mins. Some interesting info here: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/meatrest.html

    Rachel said...

    looks totally yummy. I'm suddenly reminded that I haven't had or made steak in quite awhile!

    Stesha said...

    Steak and potatoes are a favorite meal in our house. I'm sure if I followed the above recipe, my family would like it prepared every night!

    Hugs and Mocha,
    Stesha

    noble pig said...

    OMG that is beautiful meat!!

    Leslie said...

    never prepared filet???? oh my..you will never go back!

    Krista said...

    Oh yeah, the picture is appetizing...no worries! I love a good filet! I think that I could eat it all day long. Although I've never tried, so possibly not. I'm tired too...ignore MY ramblings. lol. This recipe sounds amazing. I get free beef, but I have to buy my own filets....jealous of your good deal. Hope you have a lovely weekend!

    Unknown said...

    delicious! the photo looks good...good enough that when i showed it to hubster he asked if we could have it tomorrow night for dinner!
    so...thank you for the great recipe to try!

    Joanne said...

    That meat looks seriously appetizing. And I'm not even that big of a beef eater! Juicy, delicious, and perfectly cooked. Excellent job.

    teresa said...

    i'd say that picture is VERY appetizing, as is the recipe! delicious!

    Lunch Buckets said...

    I told you that you'd want the filets.

    Love,
    Guido

    TeaLady said...

    Looks wonderful. I usually like my steaks just plain, but a good sauce is good too. And this looks good.

    Kim said...

    I'm with you on leaving out the mushrooms and doubling up on the shallots. In fact, I think I like shallots better than onions. Looks delicious to me!

    La Bella Cooks said...

    This looks fantastic to me as I am a HUGE filet fan. Looks like you did a beautiful job for your first time!

    Chef Aimee said...

    Wow...that wine mushroom sauce sounds divine!

    Emily said...

    Yum yum yum. Steak with wild mushroom sauce sounds great to me!

    Kate at Serendipity said...

    Come here and sit by me. Tell me more about this great deal on meat. I promise it will remain our secret.

    Chris said...

    I had a deal on fillet too this weekend but mine required some butchering skills (got a whole beef tenderloin). I like the recipe and will give it a spin this week.

    Cucinista said...

    The photo is mouth-watering. YUM.

    Monica H said...

    filet mignon is a favorite of mine and my husbands! that make it sound like I have multiple husbands- ha ha!

    Anyway, this looks really tasty as I love a good medium rare steak!

    Ingrid_3Bs said...

    No, mushrooms? I'd be like hold the steak and go heavy on the mushroom sauce!
    ~ingrid

    Mediterranean Turkish Cook said...

    Mushrooms and onions always go very well with steaks. It sounds and looks really good.

    Michelle said...

    OH does this look good! I'm not making dinner tonight and boy do I wish I had a plate of this right now!

    Anna said...

    This is my kind of recipe. I can't stand mushrooms and normally would leave them out, but my daughter has developed this fondness for the little funghi so I'll have to use them. She especially likes the button mushrooms. Thanks for the recipe!

    Katy ~ said...

    This is the way a good filet should be served, no heavy creamy sauces. Perfection!