Friday, April 23, 2010

Chicken Pot Pie...Hungry Girl Style

You guys like your dessert, don't ya?  Back to reality now, again with the help of Hungry Girl, and her chicken pot pie recipe.  


I recently had chicken pot pie at Marie Callender's, but that really wouldn't be a fair comparison.  This version is pretty good though; chock full o' veggies, with a crust made from crescent roll dough.  



Ingredients:
8 oz. raw boneless skinless chicken breast; cut into bite-sized pieces
3 cups C&W Ultimate Petite Mixed Vegetables (or any other frozen mixed vegetables)
1 can (10.75 oz.) Campbell's Condensed Soup, 98% Fat Free Cream of Celery
3 servings Pillsbury Reduced Fat Crescent Rolls (unprepared)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Saute chicken pieces for several minutes in a pan spritzed with nonstick cooking spray, until chicken is light brown/cooked but still tender; set aside. Heat frozen veggies in microwave according to package. Mix chicken, vegetables and soup together and put in a 9" round baking dish sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Place dish in oven and bake for about 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly (stir about halfway through). While dish is cooking, unroll 3 crescent rolls. Combine pieces together with hands to make one large ball of dough. With a rolling pin, roll dough out into a circle to cover top of dish. Add dough to the top of the dish and cook for an additional 15 - 20 minutes or until top is golden brown. Serves 4.

*I used some seasoned salt when cooking that chicken and added a little bit of finely chopped onion.
*I think next time I would go with the low fat cream of chicken soup instead
*for my veggies I used half mixed veggies, and half green beans, cause I like 'em.
*rolling out that dough is not as easy as I thought it would be...you really gotta work it!





Another new family member to introduce.  I finally made the plunge and got myself a dutch oven.  No, not that brand, didn't feel like selling a kidney today.                                                    
This one comes from Ikea, and I just love it.  I've been coveting one (yes, I admit it) quite some time, and I can't wait to use it!

11 comments:

Tina said...

Thank you so much for the nice comments and visiting my blog! I love the looks of your new dutch oven. You will have a good time cooking with it. It's an item I just couldn't live without!

Joanne said...

Hungry girl does it again! I love the crescent dough trick for making pot pies...delicious crust every time. This looks great!

June said...

Now I'm coveting your cast iron Dutch oven - can't ever live without it once you have one and good old IKEA. Their products are always a really good buy. Enjoy!

Karen said...

Oooh, I love your new blue 'baby'. I recently got a 7-qt dutch oven that I won in a blog giveaway and I LOVE it! (Mine is a a green 'baby') LOL

Chef Aimee said...

LOL I love your new dutch oven and hear you about selling a kidney...Le Cruset is so expensive! Your new one looks fantastic!

pam said...

I have a couple dutch ovens...none of them the expensive brand, and I love them!

Kim said...

I've been wanting a dutch oven for some time now. I don't really want the le creuset either, any brand will do. Congrats on yours!
I'm liking those hungry girl recipes! The crescent dough is a great idea for topping a pot pie.

Monica H said...

I recently purchaesd a LC dutch oven but only because it was a steal! I don't understand why they're so dang expensive though???

Your pot pie looks yummy.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I like chicken pot pies, a major comfort food. And to have one that isn't full of fat is even better! I will be making these. TX!

The JR said...

Chicken Pot Pie is high on my list as one of the favorites.

Jennifer Vanderbeek said...

I saw those dutch ovens at IKEA recently and they seemed very nice for the price. If you have a Marshalls around, I've often found Le Creuset cookware there for a steal!

(stopping by from SITS)