Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Crispy Mexican Chicken


Saw this recipe at Amanda's Cookin' and thought it was such a great idea.  It's like getting hash browns right on top of your chicken with very little fuss.  
This was super easy to put together and we all seemed to like it.  

Here's  her recipe:



1 8-oz baking potato, peeled and shredded
1/4 cup nonfat buttermilk  (I used regular milk since I didn't have buttermilk)
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp ground red pepper
4 6-oz skinned chicken breast halves
cooking spray
1 tsp vegetable oil

Place shredded potato in ice water, let stand 5 minutes.

Combine buttermilk and next four ingredients. Brush mixture over both sides of the chicken. Line a baking sheet with foil, coat foil with cooking spray. Place chicken pieces on pan.

Drain potato, pat dry with paper towel. Place in small bowl, add oil, toss gently. Spoon 1/3 cup potato mixture over each chicken breast half, spread evenly.

Bake at 425 F for 35-40 minutes (mine baked longer, about 50 minutes, use an instant read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the breast, done at 165 F).



Earlier in the week I got a fun freebie from Post Cereals.  Along with Raisin Bran, I got all these little containers of different kinds of fiber to compare.  I had no idea that polydextrose and maltodextrin were fibers.  They're both pretty powdery compared to the others.

13 comments:

Leslie said...

what a tasty little dinner! easy too!

La Bella Cooks said...

This sounds like a delicious recipe and perfect for a busy weeknight. Love it!

Kim said...

Chicken covered in hashbrown potatoes is genius! Sounds like a great family friendly recipe to try.
Good luck with all that fiber:D

The JR said...

Interesting looking recipe.

Congrats on your gift package from Post. Can't help you out with those ingredients though.

The Diva on a Diet said...

What an unusual and delicious looking recipe! I love all of the spices used too. Yum!

Aw, cute package from Post. What are you supposed to do with the polydextrose and maltodextrin???

Julie said...

I have no idea!

Katrina said...

I saw that over at Amanda's and now a second thumbs up. Wondering if my boys would go for it. They actually don't even like French fries, but the like baked potatoes. It sounds different and yummy. Hmmm?

Rachel said...

This looks really good! Never heard of coating chicken in shredded potatoes - but sounds great.

Michelle said...

I saw this on Amanda's blog! And she posted it the same time I posted my Chicken Pancakes which are chicken and hashbrowns!

Juliana said...

Wow, nice chicken dish, love the way that it is prepared with hash brown on top...what a great meal :-)

Mara Campbell said...

The chicken looks great, I love the addition of the hash browns right on top. My DH would love it!

Lara said...

This is my type of dinner! Delicious!

Katy ~ said...

Now this certainly will be a recipe we'll be trying. Two of my favorite go-togethers in a single recipe. Loving it.