Thursday, April 29, 2010

Stuffed Snow Peas & Red Onion and Purple Potato Frittata

It's two recipes for the price of one here today.  Both of these come from the April/May issue of Taste of Home.


I saw these stuffed snow peas and just thought they were the cutest things.  And they're certainly not difficult.  I think it would be cute to serve at some sort of a shower or brunch.  You know, if you're one of those type of people who has friends and does those sort of things...hehe.  

Stuffed Snow Peas
Ingredients:
8 oz softened cream cheese
2 tsp minced chives
1 tsp dried basil
1 minced garlic clove
1/2 tsp caraway seeds (didn't use these)
1/2 tsp dill weed
1/4 tsp lemon pepper
36 fresh snow peas, trimmed


Directions:
Combine first 7 ingredients.  Cover and refrigerate overnight. (I didn't do this step, and thought they tasted fine)
Let filling stand at room temp 30 minutes.  Meanwhile bring 6 cups water to boil.  Add snow peas, cover and boil 1-2 minutes.  Drain and immediately place peas in ice water.  Drain and pat dry.  Gently split peas open, pipe about 1 tsp of filling into each pod.  


my notes:  The recipe recommend not to make these too far in advance.  Need to be chilled and served within 3 hours.  I halved everything because I was only making a few, and don't really think the full recipe would fill 36 peas.


This was my first time making a frittata.  Which I suppose is just basically a baked omelet.  


I saw these purple potatoes and just had to give them a try.  My daughter didn't really believe they were potatoes.  I wonder if they have any extra nutritional value since they've got some color to them.


Red Onion and Potato Frittata
Ingredients:
1 large red onion, chopped
1/2 tsp minced fresh rosemary
4 tbsp butter, divided
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 pound red (or purple) potatoes thinly sliced
6 eggs
1/3 cup milk
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese


Directions:
In 10 inch ovenproof skillet, saute onion and rosemary in 1 tbsp butter until tender.  Add garlic and cook one minute longer. Remove from pan and set aside.
In same skillet cook potatoes in 2 tbsp butter tender.  Remove and keep warm
Whisk together eggs, milk, salt, pepper, and cheese.  Add onion mixture.  Melt remaining butter in skillet.  Add egg mixture, bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes.  Top with potatoes and bake another 3-5 minutes.  Let stand 5 minutes, and cut into wedges.

15 comments:

♥peachkins♥ said...

first time I've seen stuffed snowpeas...I like it..

blowing peachkisses
The Peach Kitchen
peach and things

From the Kitchen said...

What a colorful and attractive appetizer--not to mention delicious sounding! I've just read back on your blog and think that apricot chicken is going to end up on our table very soon.

Best,
Bonnie

Joanne said...

I like the stuffed snowpea idea! The perfect little finger food.

And those purple potatoes - WOW. I love oddly colored veggies.

Anonymous said...

What a fabulous creative idea to stuff the snow peas! and the purple potatoes look so pretty on top of the delicious frittata!

The JR said...

Both are very pretty. When food is appealing it seems to taste so much better!

pam said...

Those stuffed snow peas are adorable!

The Diva on a Diet said...

I'm entirely charmed by those stuffed snow peas. I would never have thought to do that, but what a brilliant little appetizer. Love it!

The purple potatoes are wonderful too. So fun and yummy!

The Blonde Duck said...

I can't believe you made veggies look cute.

Monica H said...

Those peas are too cute. I bet they'd be delicious stuffed with some Boursin cheese too!

Kerstin said...

What pretty purple potatoes! The peas are super cute too :)

Leslie said...

2 for one??? Love both of them..SCORE!

Deborah said...

Those snow peas look so cute!!

Anonymous said...

I want to make the frittata tomorrow. I have no idea where to get purple potatoes though.

I guess, I become creative.

Reeni said...

The pea pods look really good! I could eat all of them! And I love purple potatoes - yummy frittata!

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

Dear god I love you. I'm your newest follower.

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com