POACHED PEARS (May be made a day ahead)
• 2 cups water
• 1/2 cup unsweetened apple juice
• 2/3 cup STEVIA EXTRACT IN THE RAW™ CUP FOR CUP
• 4 strips lemon zest
• 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
• 1 cinnamon stick (forgot to buy so just used ground cinnamon)
• 1/2 vanilla bean, seeds removed and set aside
(didn't want to sell a kidney so just used extract)
• 1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
• 3 whole cloves
• 1/8 teaspoon salt
• 4 Bartlett or Bosc pears (about 2 pounds), peeled, halved lengthwise and cored
8 sheets (12"x17") packaged prepared Phyllo dough
• Canola oil
FILLING AND TOPPING
• 3/4 cup blanched slivered almonds
• 1/4 cup STEVIA EXTRACT IN THE RAW™ CUP FOR CUP
• 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
• Dash salt
• 1 egg, beaten
• 1/2 teaspoon almond extract (didn't have)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened
• 1/2 cup poached pear liquid, strained
• 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
In medium saucepan bring water, apple juice, STEVIA EXTRACT IN THE RAW
, lemon zest, lemon juice, cinnamon stick, vanilla bean along with seeds, peppercorns, cloves, and salt to a boil. Add pear halves, reduce heat, cover and simmer 20-25 minutes or until pears are fork tender.
Remove from heat and cool for about 1 hour in poaching liquid.
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Prepare tart shell. Lightly oil an 8" x 11" oblong metal tart pan with a removable bottom. Keeping phyllo sheets moist with a damp cloth carefully arrange 8 sheets in tart pan — brushin
g each with canola oil before layering.
Trim edges and prick sides and bottom of shell with a fork before baking at 400°F for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from
oven and cool on rack.
To make filling add almonds, STEVIA EXTRACT IN THE RAW, cinnamon and salt to a food processor and process until mixture is a finely chopped powder. Add egg
, extracts and butter, and process until a paste.
Spread almond mixture in bottom of baked tart shell.
Remove pears from poaching liquid; pat dry and cut halves into 1/4 slices on angle. Arrange pear slice
s staggered in 3 rows.
Reduce oven to 350°F and bake tart for about 45 minutes on baking sheet or until almond mixture puffs. It may be necessary to shield
crust edges with aluminum foil to prevent burning. Let cool completely.
Prepare glaze topping by combining 1/2 cup strained pear liquid with cornstarch in small saucepan. Bring to a
boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove and drizzle glaze over pear slices.
Makes 15 servings.
Not sure if I'll have anything else to post between now and Christmas day, so here's wishing many blessings to you and yours this year.