Monday, December 7, 2009

Emeril's Sausage Stuffed French Bread

Another recipe from "Emeril's Potluck", and that's exactly what I made it for.
It's hard to get even halfway decent food pics while other people are standing around salivating and wanting to eat so this was the best I could do.
I have to say I adored this with every fiber of my being. Just the perfect combination of cheesy, creamy and sausage-y. And of course, you guessed it...it's easy!
Here's the recipe:
two 15 inch long french baguettes (a used a regular sized loaf so only needed one)
1 lb bulk breakfast sausage
2 tbsp chopped jalapenos
1 cup chopped green bell peppers
1/4 cup chopped green onions
8 oz cream cheese, room temp
8 oz sour cream
8 oz grated sharp cheddar
1 tsp essence of Emeril (I used seasoned salt)
chopped fresh parsley
corn or tortilla chips
Oven at 350
Using serrated knife, trim upper quarter off the length of the top of each loaf. Hollow out center, leaving a 1/2 inch thick shell.
Brown sausage in lg skillet over med hi heat about 5 mins. Add jalapenos, bells, green onions. Cook, stirring until veggies soft 3-4 mins.
Add cream cheese, sour cream, and cheddar and stir until competely melted. Add essence and remove from heat.
Fill the hollowed out loaves with equal amts. of mixture and wrap with aluminum foil. Place on baking sheet and bake 1 hr. Remove, unwrap and sprinkle with parsley.
Serve with chips for dipping, or cut bread crosswise into 2 inch slices.
It was a potluck/baby shower so I also brought these festive cupcakes.
I have to say I love the little cupcakes stand, but I hate fondant. I doubt I'll ever try to work with it again...blech :P
Speaking of sweet stuff I received this awesome sample of Stevia today.
I was expecting maybe a couple of tiny little sample size packages, but these folks don't mess around! I've been wanting to try this stuff quite some time, but I haven't had the chance yet. Now I guess I've got no excuse.
They have a website you can visit (www.steviaintheraw.com) for recipes.
I'm especially drawn to the almond macaroons and pear tart.

36 comments:

♥peachkins♥ said...

the stuffed french bread looks like comfort food to me..

Cathy said...

That Emeril recipe will be making it to my table soon - damn that looks delicous.

NKP said...

That really does look delicious!
Wonderful to be able to try the stevia too, we are cutting down on sugar as well.

Unknown said...

I must say, I like the potluck baby shower idea. Fondant can be a beast to work with. It is not my favorite medium. I do not even like the way it tastes! I love pear tarts. Good way to go on getting the free samples!

valentine said...

yummm. cheesy, saugagey goodness.

The Blonde Duck said...

I am totally into any meaty, cheesy bread.

Kim said...

oh my....that bread stuffed with sausage sounds so good right now! I bet my husband would love it.

Monica H said...

That would be awesome to nibble on while decorating the house and wrapping presents. I suppose with a side salad it could be a meal.

I don't like fondant either. It wasn't that difficult to work with but it has such a weird chewy sweet texture. I think I'd work with it again because I like the results but I won't be eating it.

teresa said...

what a yummy bread! my family would probably eat it all in one sitting. i love the cupcakes too. i've never tried fondant, you're brave!

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

Emeril's sausage bread is similar to my artichoke bread...if you like the method and like artichokes and cheese, check out the recipe on my blog. I am going to try out this recipe!

Your cupcakes look beautiful! I haven't worked with fondant before...is it that hard to work with?

Anonymous said...

Oh Wow...I love your new header !... and everything looks delicious...but my weakness would definitely be those beautiful cup cakes...!
PS : its me Nat.

grace said...

who can complain when sausage, peppers, cheese, and bread come together in such a magnificent form? this is an amazing creation, julie!

Evolving Mommy Catherine said...

So do you slice and serve straight from the oven? It looks like great potluck food.

Juliana said...

Yummie, the stuffed french bread looks delicious...like the idea of it for potluck ;-)

The Blonde Duck said...

I suppose it is strange for the Pond to have a cheerful blue elephant...but the Pond is strange!

Reeni said...

The bread looks so delicious!!! And the cupcakes are so cute! I'm curious about how you like the stevia. I tried it once and didn't like it at all - it was a different brand than this one.

MaryRC said...

oh yea im salivating too.. no fair i cant taste!

Katy ~ said...

Yumm... that bread does look perfect for a potluck or family gathering (alas just too much for the 2 of us). I can just imagine the aromas. YUM

I don't mind working with fondant, but I think it's kind of a waste as it's generally not edible. Frosting for flavor, fondant for looks I think I read somewhere. Too bad, because those cupcakes are adorable.

Never used Stevia. I'm going to have to go to their website and see what it's all about.

Finding Normal said...

Oh my! I would LOVE that bread. Must make soon!
I don't really get the "serve with chips for dipping" part. It's bread...just eat it! Did you use it as a dip?

Julie said...

I did't serve it with chips. I think he just means you can do it that way if you want to. I figured if it's sitting there in a big hunk of bread, might as well have it like that.

Anonymous said...

Visiting from SITS. That looks so delicious!!!

Unknown said...

Don't you just love Emeril? That loaf looks amazing.
popping by from sits and glad I did!

buhdoop said...

I made Emeril's 3 meat lasagna and it was one of the best (meat) lasagnas I have ever had. So good.

thatgirlblogs said...

I am so making that this weekend!

theUngourmet said...

It looks like there is a whole lot of good stuff in here!

Cute cupcakes! I love that stand. I saw one at Costco the other day. I haven't tried working with fondant yet. I really don't care for the taste of it either.

Kathleen said...

That stuffed french bread looks totally off the hook.

Molly said...

wow, the bread looks perfect for the holiday table this year!!! found you on SITS....but now I'm going to friend you on foodbuzz!

Debbie said...

The stuffed French bread looks wonderful. Sooo good!

rhiana said...

I think your cupcakes look great!

Heather of the EO said...

And after all that yummy goodness, I see Jalapeno Popper Dip in the "you might also like" thing at the end of the post.

YES, I WILL like that.

Anshika said...

You are in a festive mood already. Liked your blog. The sausages are just too tempting.

The Blonde Duck said...

I hope you had a good weekend!

Krista said...

The french bread sounds SO good and those cupcakes are way too cute. You are rockin' it out in the kitchen, lady!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

That stuffed bread sounds insanely good.

Great job on the cupcakes and kudos for working with fondant which I've managed to avoid so far.
~ingrid

cookies and cups said...

Your cupcakes are precious! Too bad you didn't like the fondant? If you used WIlton, I will agree with you that it is grossssss! Try Satin Ice or making your own marshmallow fondant, trust me, the marshmallow stuff is yummy!

Miranda said...

Cute cupcakes. I have the same cupcake stand. I've never used fondant. Seems like a pain.