Sunday, December 6, 2009

Flight of Ideas

I tried to make a panettone today. Is it just me or does it sort of look like a mushroom cloud?
I used a small coffee can for the mold. It turned out kinda dense and tough. Maybe I over-kneaded it or something. Smelled good while it was baking though. And what the heck is citron? I bought a little container of it to put in the bread and when I sniffed it I thought for sure it had ruined.
My panettone's will be store bought from now on.
My lovely girl child is suffering from a not so lovely rash called pityriasis rosea.
Of course like most things, they don't really know what causes it, but it's most likely something that occurs after you have a virus that runs its course in 6 to 12 weeks. (I think we're on about week 4)
It starts with a "herald" patch then spreads from there, but usually not on parts of the skin that get sun exposure. Although she has one on her jaw.
If she gets any on part of her that can be seen I don't know if they'll let her go to school, (even though it's supposedly not really contagious) it really has quite an alarming appearance. I may have to dress her in a turtleneck and ski mask.
I started to put an actual picture of the rash, but decided that would disgust many of you, and the girl would probably hurt me in my sleep.
I'm feeling quite a bit more ready for Christmas now than I was this time yesterday.
And I just refuse to stress about anything that I haven't accomplished yet.
And...I think I need more shoes :D

11 comments:

♥peachkins♥ said...

my mother loves pannetone!

Danyele Easterhaus said...

came by from SITS! hello and how are you? and pass some goodies!!! who cares if they are mushroom like...good luck withe the kiddos rash. not fun!

teresa said...

i just saw a food network show where giada was talking about how much she loves panetonne. that was the first time i heard about it. it looks delicious!

The Blonde Duck said...

Kudos to you for even attempting that!

Poor baby. I hope she gets better!

Kim said...

I've heard that pannetone is really hard to make. Good for you for trying it. Sorry to hear about your daughter and the rash. My son had something like that last year. He felt fine, but didn't really look fine. I hope she's better soon.

Monica H said...

Sorry to hear about the rash- what a bummer. I hope it goes away soon. Thanks for not posting a picture. If I were her I'd hurt you too- LOL.

Reeni said...

Sorry about your panettone! And your daughter's rash. Such a long time for it to go away. Jeez. It does look like a giant mushroom! Or a cupcake. It's kind of neat looking.

Julie said...

Actually it's not bad toasted and smothered in butter :)

Evolving Mommy Catherine said...

Wait a second, do you even have room left in your closet for more shoes after your big windfall?

Oh, and the panettone has character which is one thing it has over store bought.

noble pig said...

I love your pannetone mushroom cloud...that made me laugh so hard...that and sending your daughter to school in a ski mask!

Katy ~ said...

I've never had homemade pannetone, only the store bought kind. I'm proud of you for trying it.

Awwww, your poor little one. Rashes are not fun. Had to laugh about the ski mask thing though.