Sunday, January 18, 2009

Potato Skins

I haven't been interested in football in years, but when I heard that today's game might mean a trip to the Superbowl for the Arizona Cardinals, I got a little excited. It feels kinda nice to get enthused about a local team since the Phoenix Suns are getting on my last nerve lately. Aside from Nash and Stoudemire, I have no idea who any of those people playing are. Well, there is that big guy named Shaq, but I digress... a great deal.
Of course you won't be shocked to learn that I found today's game another reason to rustle up a yummy snack. I've always loved potato skins stuffed with stuff but never made them at home. I found this recipe at Allrecipes...here it is for ya:
6 potatoes 1 cup vegetable oil 8 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese 1/8 cup bacon bits 1 (16 ounce) container sour cream DIRECTIONS Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking pan. Pierce potatoes with a fork. Microwave the potatoes on high until they are soft; approximately 10 to 12 minutes. Cut the potatoes in half vertically. Scoop the inside out of the potatoes, until 1/4 inch of the potato shell remains. Heat oil to 365 degrees F (180 degrees C) in a deep fryer or a deep saucepan. Place the potatoes in hot oil, fry for 5 minutes. Drain potatoes on paper towels. Fill the potato shells with cheese and bacon bits. Arrange them in the prepared baking pan. Bake for 7 minutes, or until the cheese is melted. Serve hot with sour cream.
The only thing different I did was use real bacon instead of bacon bits and put scallions and tomatoes on top. Next...the Superbowl!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dropping by from sits. Yummy! I picked the wrong week to go on a diet!

Anonymous said...

These sound awesome. Potato skins are one of my fav indulgences!

The Blonde Duck said...

Those look delicious! Yum!

Tiffany said...

Yum! I"ve never made potato skins but I like to eat them.

Ironjack said...

Those look reasonably healthy compared to some of the stuff in the restaurants, yummy i'll have to give them a try!

Julie said...

Well, there is a little deep frying that goes on there, but we'll try to overlook that :)

Brindi said...

Perfect food for football games. However, you are rooting for the wrong team - Go Steelers!

Kitchen M said...

Thanks for checking out my blog!
These potato skins are indeed great snacks!

Anonymous said...

I sank you for zee show of solidarity against zee so-called baskeetball pig-dogs running zee Suns. I fart in their gen-e-ral dee-rection!

Julie said...

I am so honored to have Boris commenting on my blog :P