Monday, October 25, 2010

Blueberry Breakfast Cake

Chances are you have everything you need to make this; if you've got some  berries in the freezer, you're good to go.  


And you definitely should make this!  It's delicious and light and moist.  If you're a coffee person it would be great with your first cup of coffee in the morning.  For me, it was great with my Diet Coke :)




It disappeared in a flash!



Here's the recipe I found at Mommy's Kitchen.  I just used a bundt pan instead...if you do just be sure to sprinkle the crumb topping in before the batter.  

2 - cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 - cups sugar
1/2 - cups cold butter
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 - cup milk
2 - egg yolks
2 - egg whites, beaten
2 cups fresh blueberries or
frozen (if using frozen don't thaw)

In a mixing bowl, combine the flour and sugar. Cut the butter into pieces using a knife and add to the flour mixture. Blend using a fork or pastry blender until crumbly. Set aside 3/4 cup of the mixture to use as a topping. Add the baking powder, milk, egg yolks and mix well and set aside. Beat the egg whites til soft peaks form. Add the milk and egg mixture into the flour and mix. Fold the egg whites into the batter and lightly mix everything together. Pour into a greased 9 x 13 baking dish. Sprinkle with blueberries and and add the reserved crumb mixture. Bake at 350 for 30-35 min or until golden brown and toothpick comes out clean.

 

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh yum! I do have everything to make this. I love recipes like that! I'm a morning coffee person so this would be perfect to have with my coffee. Thanks Julie, it looks scrumptious!

Brownieville Girl said...

Sounds wonderful, very tempted to give it a go now!!

Katrina said...

Mmm, that does look really good and I froze a ton of blueberries this summer!

Mary | Deep South Dish said...

Oh. My. Word. Does that look good or what?!!

Heather S-G said...

This looks awesome...although I don't have any blueberries :( I do have cranberries, though...bet that would work!!

Monica H said...

I'm in! You don't have to tell me twice to eat cake and blueberries for breakfast!

Kim said...

Oh yes...this would be terrific with my AM diet coke, then my afternoon diet coke, and also my bedtime diet coke! I could eat it all day long.

Diana's Cocina said...

Sounds wonderful! You had me at breakfast cake!!

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

Julie, this looks delicious, minus the diet coke. :)

Fondly,
Glenda

Monet said...

So I've been trying to decide what to bring to my graduate class tomorrow night, and after seeing your cake, I know that bundt is the way to go! What a lovely recipe...I'm not surprised that it was popular! I would have had a hard time stopping at one slice. Thank you for sharing!

My Little Space said...

The cake looks beautiful and scrumptious. Well done, Julie! Have a great day.
Kristy

Katy ~ said...

So perfect for the weekend. The texture looks so moist and tender. I must try this...and I do think I have blueberries in the freezer...is it the weekend yet???

Katerina said...

I love cakes and this one looks very promising. I have to start buying things to make it.

Julie M. said...

I just love a tasty breakfast bread! This one sounds like a winner. And I do have frozen berries in my freezer right now! Yum!

The JR said...

Looks really goog.

Kristen said...

looks really yummy

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Mmmm, Julie that looks really good! I'msure I've got some berries in the freezer somewhere.
~ingrid

Donna-FFW said...

Oh this indeed does look like a keeper. I am loving how light and airy it seems. I want a slice with my coffee..

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog, and this recipe looks awesome. Yes, I am a coffee person; yes, I am having a cup of coffee as we speak; yes I would LOVE a slice of that cake with my coffee. =)

The Blonde Duck said...

I've never seen the Great Pumpkin!

Joanne said...

Haha I often wonder how early is TOO early to start the Coke Zero drinking. But in reality I'd rather just have cake. This looks delicious!

Susan at www.ugogrrl.com said...

This looks so yummy - I love that I do have all of the ingredients on hand. I can't wait to try! And - I am also a Diet Coke girl in the morning-preferably a large Diet Coke from SONIC! :)

Reeni said...

I ♥ all things blueberry! Especially cake! Looks scrumptious.