Sunday, October 3, 2010

Seven Sporadic Questions: Brenda's Canadian Kitchen

Happy October good people!
This is the part where a lesser person would whine and complain about continued high temps of over 100, but I'm above all that. Who needs crisp autumn air and blustery winds. Before I depress myself further, let's get on with this month's installment of....



This month we'll be traveling to Canada (where I'm sure the temp's are below 100 and I'm not jealous) to visit with Brenda of Brenda's Canadian Kitchen.


She is one of my newer blogging acquaintances but I never cease to be amazed by the deliciousness she continues to offer up. Let's visit with her now, shall we?

1. What inspired you to start blogging?
Well, whenever I would be looking for a recipe online and I would google that recipe, more often than not I would land on someone's blog. I was so intrigued. It looked like so much fun! Finally I thought, "maybe I can do this." I was a bit intimidated at first as I'm not Internet-savvy so I wasn't sure I could do the whole blog thing. Then once I started I saw how easy it was. I've been baking and cooking since I was in my teens and it just seemed natural to share that with everyone. And fun!  

2. What's your favorite thing to make for a crowd? 
I'd have to say pizza!!! I discovered a new pizza recipe that feeds a crowd, sheet pan pizza. I could make a couple of them, different toppings on each one and I'd be all set. Who doesn't love pizza!?  


3. What's your favorite thing to make for just you? 
This is really boring but I'd have to say grilled cheese and tomato soup. My husband, Joe, often works the night shift so a lot of the time, it's just me for supper so I take the easy way out. A grilled cheese on homemade bread is one of my favourite foods. I should say I make my own tomato soup, but I'm afraid I just open a can of Campbell's.

4. If you could invite 3 famous people (living or dead) to dinner, who would they be?
 Any particular reason?
Princess Di, my maternal grandmother, and Bobby Flay.


I don't admire a lot of people, but I have to say I admired Princess Di. I remember when she died we had been on a road trip and were headed back to Toronto. We were in a motel in the middle of nowhere, Nebraska and I sat on the bed and cried and cried. I felt like I had known her personally. The world lost an incredible person.
My grandmother, Lillian Harper, wasn't famous to anyone but her family but I'm choosing her anyway. It's been almost 20 years since she died but a day doesn't go by where I don't miss her and think of her. She was a wonderful, warm-hearted, "typical" grandmother. She loved to cook and bake and would always make our favourite treats when she knew we were coming to visit. The sweetest, kindest person I ever met.
Last but not least, I would have to say Bobby Flay because the best meal I ever had in a restaurant was at his Mesa Grill at Caesars Palace, Las Vegas. I had the ancho chili - honey glazed salmon and still think about it all the time. Amazing doesn't even begin to describe it. Joe and I are headed back there in November for my birthday and I've requested Mesa Grill for my birthday dinner. I can't wait!!! 


5. When you think of your childhood, do any favorite dishes come to mind?

My Mom used to make homemade applesauce and to this day it's the best applesauce I have ever had. I've had various other homemade applesauce but nothing has compared to my Mom's. She also used to make wonderful biscuits which we would eat warm, with butter and maple syrup poured on top. And one of my favourite desserts she made was her raisin cake. It's made in a loaf pan and she would frost it with the yummiest vanilla frosting. Which reminds me, I misplaced that recipe and need to get it from her! 

6. What do you have in your kitchen that you just couldn't do without? (besides your stove/oven of course)


  That's easy. My KitchenAid stand mixer would be number one. I've had it for I don't know how many years. Around 20 if not longer. I love that mixer! My second favourite item is my KitchenAid food processor. It's just a small one but I use it all the time as I LOATHE chopping. I use it almost every day. Two honourable mentions would be my Black & Decker bread machine and my Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker. Not necessary but certainly fun to have!

7. What's your favorite part of blogging? Do you think you'll keep doing it for a while?

Definitely the people. I can't believe the wonderful camaraderie between bloggers. Everyone is so friendly and helpful. I've never actually met any of my online friends face to face but I feel like I have and I feel like I've known some of them forever. Incredible. And I definitely plan on doing this................forever! I have no plans to stop. I can't imagine not having my blog now and I've only had it for about 8 months. It's so much fun and I get such joy from it and from the people I associate with because of it.

16 comments:

Monet said...

Thanks for sharing this blogger with us...I love learning more about what motivates people in the kitchen and in the blog world. It was great hearing about her mom's homemade applesauce. Such a great memory and food connection! Have a great Monday!

The JR said...

Hey Brenda,

Tomato soup and grilled cheese are right up my alley too!

The Blonde Duck said...

I wish I'd had a grandmother like that. I'm actually all over that sheet pan pizza...

Reeni said...

I adore Brenda! It was great getting to know her better!

Julie M. said...

I love Brenda's blog! The kitchen aid is my favorite kitchen gadget as well. Thanks for sharing a bit more about her with us. Love ya Brenda!

Unknown said...

I just discovered Brenda's blog recently too, and I love it! Thanks for posting this interview.

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Hi, Brenda! Where's that raisin cake recipe? My Dad reminieces about a raisin cake his mom used to make for him. :)

Nice to met ya!
~ingrid

Julie said...

I need to say here I didn't mean to make it look like Bobby Flay was going to hit Princess Di in the back of the head with a spatula.

MaryRC said...

sounds yummy

Faith said...

Brenda sounds like a wonderful blogger, thanks for introducing her to us! Grilled cheese and tomato soup is a classic for me too. :)

Anonymous said...

Aw, thank you all for the very sweet comments, you made my day!!!! I'm visiting my Mom this weekend so I'll get that raisin cake recipe Ingrid. :o) And thank you to Julie for picking this Canuck to interview this month. LOL to Julie for the Bobby Flay/Princess Di comment! :o)

Kim said...

I love Brenda and her blog! She definitely knows how to make me drool:) I'm glad to see that she and I both like Bobby Flay- LOl!

Joanne said...

yay another new fun blog for me to check out! Anyone who adore pizza is a friend of mine!

Alexis AKA MOM said...

That pizza looks fab! I so need a small food processor I hate to lug out the big one each time. And I agree LOVE my mixer I use it several times a week.

It's amazing what bonds we have found threw blogging.

Velva said...

Yeah! Great blogger interview. Thanks for introducing her to us. Now, I have another blog that I can enjoy.

theUngourmet said...

It was so fun getting to know Brenda. Her mom's raisin cake with the vanilla frosting is sounding mighty delicious right now! I'm off to check out Brenda's blog now.

Have a great week! :)