Friday, October 1, 2010

Grilled Chops with Barefoot Wine's Sweet and Spicy Sauce

I was recently given the opportunity to try Barefoot Wine's new release Sweet Red.  (okay, not really recently, it was in August)

 I'm not what you'd call a wine aficionado, but I do love it in my cooking.  So I decided to try the recipe suggested by Barefoot Wines for sweet and spicy sauce on our chops the other night.



In a word...it was yummy.  Just like the name suggests, it's sweet and spicy.  Very bold.  My daughter was asking if I had anymore of "that sauce" a couple of days after that.  



Here's how to make it:
· 6 ounce can tomato paste
· 1 cup Barefoot Sweet Red
· 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
· ¾ teaspoon salt
· 1 ½ teaspoon garlic herb powder
· 1 tablespoon brown mustard
· ¼ cup molasses
· ½ teaspoon pepper
· 2 tablespoons brown sugar
· ½ teaspoon Hot Chili Sauce
 
I heated all the ingredients together on the stove top and simmered it for a few minutes.  


This is the pasta salad we had with it that I found at Food Network.


 It sounded good but I was underwhelmed.  I think my husband was a bit overwhelmed when it all got stuck in the garbage disposal and stopped up the sink.   

17 comments:

Unknown said...

I would drink it before making the sauce! ha, lovely meal

Monet said...

I love using wine in sauces...I'm sorry that the pasta salad wasn't super exiting. And I'm even more sorry that it clogged up your sink! That is never any fun. I hope you have a wonderful weekend. Thanks for sharing.

Katy ~ said...

I'm like you. I rarely drink wine, only just a sip now and then but I do love it in cooking. This looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

What a coincidence, I just bought a bottle of Barefoot pinot grigio today as I need it for cooking tomorrow. I don't think we have the sweet red up here yet but I'll have to look for it. Your chops sound REALLY good!!! I would love that sweet and spicy thing going on.

Joie de vivre said...

I SHOULD NOT have come to your blog this close to dinner time! The picture of the steak has me salivating! Thank you, as always, for visiting. As for your question, miracle breakfast cream is basically yogurt, ground nuts, flax seed oil, lemon juice and oatmeal. It's yummy and healthy!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Julie that looks amazing! I have a pork loin I was gonna make in the slow cooker tomorrow and I'm wondering if I could tweak this for it.
~ingrid

Poor Taste Kristen said...

Wow! The sauce looks unique and delicious. It sounds like it would really compliment the grill flavor from the chops. I will definitely have to give it a try!

Kim said...

I'm not much of a wine aficionado either, but I am a pork chop aficionado and I say that this looks delectable! The sauce looks like the type that you have to keep sopping up with anything and everything on your plate!

Chris said...

At least the pork chops were good. Besides, I didn't climb on top of the food chain to eat pasta salad, right?

Leslie said...

Like you ..I am not a wine person..but I LOVE to cook with it! I love the chops and the sauce

The JR said...

That looks amazing. My meat-a-tarian hubby would luv, luv, luv it.

Deborah said...

I don't drink at all, but I do cook with wine from time to time. This looks delicious!

La Bella Cooks said...

I love a good bottle of wine but I seem to enjoy it more when I cook with it. Must be the combo of flavors. This looks fabulous.

♥peachkins♥ said...

I'm not a wine drinker too but I do add some to my dishes sometimes..

Emily Z said...

Your chops look delicious! And the sink story makes me laugh, my husband won't allow anything down the garbage disposal, it all goes in the trash, because he doesn't ever want to deal with that. Once we were house sitting for my parents when they were out of town and I was cooking and THEIR sink got stopped up. Luckily it was not my fault - we found a peach pit to be a cause of the problem. But ever since then he has been paranoid!

Monica H said...

That sauce looks so thick and yummY! I'm not much of a drinker, but I have some red wine leftover in the fridge. I'm gonna try it!

Krista said...

Hey lady! I've been away for a bit. Looks like you're still cooking up delicious food. This looks and sounds wonderful...especially that sauce!

Hope you're having a lovely weekend!