Monday, June 28, 2010

Bourbon Kahlua Peach Cobbler

I recently checked out Tyler Florence's "Dinner At My Place", which is chock full o' yumminess, and really wanted to try his bourbon peach cobbler.  Alas, no bourbon in the house so I decided to substitute Kahlua.  I got no complaints.  Topped with ice cream, it's the perfect summer treat.


This is a really yummy and fairly easy dessert.  I think it would be awesome enough for guests.  I loved baking it right in the iron skillet, saving one more dish I didn't have to wash.  



Here's Tyler's recipe...

Ingredients
 8 peaches peeled and sliced
1/4 cup bourbon
3/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp corn starch
1 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp kosher salt
2 sticks cold unsalted cold butter
3/4 cup heavy cream

Directions
 Heat the oven to 375 degrees F.

In a large bowl add the peaches, bourbon, 1/4 cup sugar, cornstarch, and cinnamon and mix well to coat the peaches evenly; set aside.

Prepare the dumplings: Into a bowl sift together the flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) butter into small pieces. Add it to the flour mixture and cut it in with a pastry blender or your hands until the mixture looks like coarse bread crumbs. Pour in the cream and mix just until the dough comes together. Don't overwork; the dough should be slightly sticky but manageable.

In a 10-inch cast iron skillet over medium-low heat, melt the remaining 4 tablespoons butter. Add the peaches and cook gently until heated through, about 5 minutes. Drop the dough by tablespoonfuls over the warm peaches. There can be gaps, the dough will puff up and spread out as it bakes. Brush the top with some heavy cream and sprinkle with some sugar; put it into the oven on a baking sheet to catch any drips. Cook for 40 to 45 minutes until the top is browned and the fruit is bubbling.
 



23 comments:

pam said...

That does sound yummy, and I've even got bourbon!

Brownieville Girl said...

Looks fantastic.

I really like his "Tyler's Ultimate" programme.

La Bella Cooks said...

Wow, now this is really decadent. I definitely would to try this out on my husband who loves peach cobbler.

The Blonde Duck said...

I LOVE cobbler.

Kim said...

I've always wanted to try this recipe, Julie! It looks so good! I'm glad to hear you all enjoyed it. It's still on my "to do" list:)

Monet said...

Delicious. I love peach cobblers, and I can only picture how great one would taste with a little bit of kahlua thrown into the mix. Great recipe!

♥peachkins♥ said...

WOW! It looks amazing!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Bourbon is not something I have in my own liquor cabinet either, so Kahlua is a good substitite:D

Joanne said...

Why do I have that cookbook and have never made this? There is something wrong with me. Looks and sounds amazing!

Unknown said...

Bourbon, Kahlua, it's all good!

The JR said...

LOL...so whats the substitute when you have no bourbon or kahlua (no alcohol) in the house......

I like that its made in a cast iron pan too.

Autumn @Good Eats Girl said...

This sounds awesome! I think that the Kahlua would make it taste better than the bourbon anyways!

Diana's Cocina said...

I'm not a fan of bourbon, but I'm a fan of kahlua and peach cobbler. Sounds delicious.

Krista said...

Oooh. Ahhh. Sorry...practicing for the fireworks next weekend. This looks wonderful! I have GOT to get an iron skillet!

Barbara said...

How easy is that?? And all in one pan too. I LOVE peaches. And bourbon. :)

The Blonde Duck said...

I wish we were close to the beach too. The closest beach is Padre and Port Aransas and due to the oil spill, it ain't cute.

Deborah said...

I'm not a drinker, so I don't make many desserts with alcohol, but this sounds delish!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

My fruity dessert lovin' kiddos would enjoy this. The twins would especially enjoy it knowning it has alcohol in it. :) It's "grown-up" up dontcha know.
~ingrid

Tiffanee said...

Yum! Looks and sounds delicious!!

Monica H said...

I bet some Amaretto would be great in there too. I want this so badly right now.

avisiontoremember said...

I am doing a 30 day food challenge on my blog for the month of august. I am looking for people to contribute recipes over that time. If you are interested please either leave a comment here or email me at boblyns at yahoo dot com

Thanks
Bobbie

Sook said...

I've been craving peach cobbler lately! Yours looks so good! I might have to try it for the fourth of july! :)

Heather S-G said...

I love boozy desserts...well, boozy anything ;) But seriously- this sounds and looks fabulous!