Sunday, May 1, 2011

Seven Sporadic Questions: Tomatoes On the Vine


I know I haven't done this Sporadic Question thing in quite some time.  I guess I've been a bit lazy.  But I'm back with a late April/early May edition featuring Velva of Tomatoes on the Vine


What can I say I about Velva's blog?  Visiting her site is like a warm and comforting visit home.  I've personally made a few recipes of hers and would love to find myself at her table any time!  Let's visit with her now.

1. What inspired you to start blogging?

 I needed an outlet. I don’t remember the genesis that planted the
seed for wanting my very own food blog. What I do remember is thinking about
it for a long time. I was afraid of the “unknown” specifically; my lack of technical savvy, what I learned was that most of my fears were unfounded. What I did not know, I either learned or asked for help.


2. What is your favorite thing to make for a crowd?

 I am at my happiest not just when I am feeding a few but when I am
feeding a crowd. Big hearty, family style meals are my favorite, served communal style on large platters. Two of my favorites crowd pleasers are Arroz con Pollo (Rice with chicken), or a hearty, meat sauce with pasta.



3. What is your favorite thing to make for you?

 Left to my own devices, I would eat a bowl of cereal in my pajamas.
With that said, my life is hectic, and I do take pleasure in ordering a Grande
Starbucks Caramel Macchiato with a petite scone, and just sitting for a few
minutes.


4. What 3 famous people (Living or dead), to dinner who would they be? Any
particular reason?

Thomas Keller- In my opinion, one of America’s greatest chefs Owner of
the French Laundry, in Napa Valley and on my bucket list of restaurants to
experience.                                                                                       Hillary Clinton- Like her or not, she is a powerful modern woman, whose
experiences would make for a wonderful evening of discussion of almost any
topic.
Bruce Springsteen- Love his music and storytelling. I would go limp.


5. When you think of your childhood, do any favorite dishes come to mind?

 Yes! I was born and raised in Miami. I can’t even begin to describe
the food culture experiences that I have shaped my food style from growing-up in a diverse urban culture.
My favorite childhood dishes were stuffed cabbage rolls, spaghetti and
meatballs, arroz con pollo, and macaroni and cheese.


6. What do you have in your kitchen that you just couldn’t do without? (besides
your stove/oven of course)

 My food processor and vegetable peeler.

7. What’s your favorite part of blogging? Do you think you’ll keep doing it for
awhile?

Yes. I have been blogging for 2-years and I have enjoyed every
minute of it. I will be the first to admit that blogging is a time commitment, and there are times where I have to remind myself that I own my blog, my blog does not own me.
Blogging has been a way for me to express my passion for food, reducing the
need to bore my friends and family with my potential for endless food chatter
(smile).
I am so glad that I took the leap. Blogging has opened up a whole new world.
Everyday, I am amazed with the people that I have gotten to know, the creativity and the passion for food that exists in the blogosphere.


13 comments:

teresa said...

i adore velva too! this was a great highlight to her wonderful blog!

My Little Space said...

Yes, I have to agree with you. Velva is an amazing lady. She kept everything simple and nice. I especially adore her homemade coleslaw sauce. Hope you're enjoying your holiday, Julie!
Kristy
p/s how's your doggie?

The Blonde Duck said...

Totally craving macaroni and cheese now.

Heather S-G said...

So fun! I love learning a bit more about the people we "talk to" on such a regular basis...and Velva is a great pick :D

The JR said...

I luv her blog!

That mac and cheese has my mouth watering.

Velva said...

Julie, thank you so much for hosting me on your blog.

Thank you everyone for your comments. I am so proud to be part of this food community.

Cheers.
Velva

Tiffanee said...

Loved getting to know you better!! Serve me up a plate of that Arroz con pollo. It looks delish!!

scrambledhenfruit said...

I love Velva's blog- thanks for helping us get to know her better. :)

The Blonde Duck said...

Happy Tuesday!

Reeni said...

It was great getting to know Velva better!

Bo said...

Love Velva and her blog.

Joanne said...

Ah a fellow caramel macchiato lover! A girl after my own heart. Loved to learn more about you!

Mini Baker said...

totally wanting mac and cheese now! thanks a lot. hehe
-mini baker