Thursday, May 26, 2011

Algerian Bouzgene Berber Bread with Roasted Pepper Sauce

To be honest, I really don't know what a couple of the words in that post title mean.  But I found this recipe printed out next to my husband's computer....I can take a hint.  So I'm not really sure of the source of the recipe.



It turned out to be a little more of a time investment than I expected, but I'm glad I made it.  You just can't go wrong with roasted red peppers.  I love the aroma when they come out of the oven.


The bread is pretty plain and simple, so it pairs perfectly with the zesty sauce.  


Here's the recipe for you


Ingredients

  • 2 red bell peppers
  • 4 tomatoes
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 4 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
  • salt to taste
  •  
  • 2 pounds semolina
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
  • 3 cups water, or as needed
  • 4 tablespoons olive oil
  • 6 tablespoons olive oil for frying


Directions

  1. Preheat your oven's broiler. Place red bell peppers and tomatoes on a baking sheet, and roast under the broiler for about 8 minutes, turning occasionally. This should blacken the skin and help it peel off more easily. Cool, then scrape the skins off of the tomatoes and peppers, and place them in a large bowl. Remove cores and seeds from the bell peppers.
  2. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the jalapenos and garlic, and cook until tender, stirring frequently. Remove from heat, and transfer the garlic and jalapeno to the bowl with the tomatoes and red peppers. Using two sharp steak knives (one in each hand), cut up the tomatoes and peppers to a coarse and soupy consistency. Stir, and set sauce aside.  (I preferred just cutting the veggies up before putting them in the bowl)
  3. Place the semolina in a large bowl, and stir in salt and 4 tablespoons of olive oil. Gradually add water while mixing and squeezing with your hand until the dough holds together without being sticky or dry, and molds easily with the hand.  (I only ended up using about 2 cups of the water.)  Divide into 6 pieces and form into balls.
  4. For each round, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Roll out dough one round at a time, to no thicker than 1/4 inch. Fry in the hot skillet until dark brown spots appear on the surface, and they are crispy. Remove from the skillet, and wrap in a clean towel while preparing the remaining flat breads.
  5. To eat the bread and sauce, break off pieces of the bread, and scoop them into the sauce. It will slide off, but just keep reaching in!


19 comments:

My Little Space said...

I am a bread person. I love this kind of flat bread. I think the dipping sauce sounds wonderful. Thanks for sharing. Hope you're having a great day.
Blessings, Kristy

Kim said...

Too cute that someone printed this out and set it by your computer. I could definitely make a meal out of this. I seem to be eating nothing but bread lately. Looks great!

Judy said...

I love roasted red peppers. Mixed with tomatoes, what a wonderful sauce!

Deborah said...

I often wish that my husband would suggest recipes to me! This looks fantastic.

Chris said...

I thought berber was a type of carpet, lol.

It looks great, especially with the peppers, my favorite.

Anonymous said...

What a great appetizer. We love pita bread and hummus, this is even better. Great job on the bread!

teresa said...

i'm impressed that this is the type of thing that your husband would like, i wish mine had an eye for this kind of thing, it looks awesome!

scrambledhenfruit said...

Wherever it came from, it looks really good. My hubby would love this too. :)

Joanne said...

Wherever this came from it looks delicious! Especially that bread...I could eat piece after piece.

The Blonde Duck said...

That looks awesome!

La Bella Cooks said...

I swear homemade roasted red peppers taste better than jarred but so many people think I am crazy. Whatever, yours look heavenly and I can almost imagine the smell. The bread is a perfect pairing.

Pam said...

That sauce sounds FANTASTIC! The bread looks great too.

Val said...

I could eat this daily!

Val said...

I could eat this daily!

Mary | Deep South Dish said...

Yummy bread and sauce!

Anonymous said...

The bread sounds so good and especially with this special sauce!

Brownieville Girl said...

Hint well taken!!!

Looks delicious, have to say he has good taste!

theUngourmet said...

I wish my husband would give me some recipe ideas! This looks terrific! I love roasted peppers. :)

Christine's Pantry said...

Looks great!