Monday, August 23, 2010

Butternut Squash Bread

Did I mention our abundance of butternuts?



I roasted one large and one medium-ish squash (split it in two, scoop out seeds, roast at 350 about 40 minutes); ran it through the food processor and got this much puree.


  Kinda made me wish I had a baby so I could feed it homemade baby food.  Not really, it's not worth the sleep deprivation.  

 I was able to make 3 loaves of bread out of the 2 butternuts.  I did one plain, one with slivered almonds on top, and one with slivered almonds and toffee chips.


  It's a lot like pumpkin bread, with just a little bit milder flavor. One can even pretend it's a little bit healthy (minus all the white sugar and processed flour).  Think I'll have a piece for lunch right now!



Butternut Squash Bread (from Food Mayhem

7.5 ounces butternut squash puree
1 1/4 cups white sugar
2 extra large eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup water
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (325 degrees F with convection). Spray a 9×5 loaf pan with non-stick spray.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together butternut squash, sugar, eggs, oil, and water.
3. In a small bowl, combine flours, baking soda, salt, and spices.  Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients.
4. Bake for 55-60 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on a rack till lukewarm before removing from the pan.
5. After it cools completely, wrap in plastic wrap and it will keep in room temperature for a few days. It actually tastes better the next day.
 

23 comments:

The JR said...

LOL...when we grew them a couple of years ago - we had tons of them too!

The Blonde Duck said...

I've never even had one!

oneordinaryday said...

Looks healthy to me. Have you tried the King Arthur white whole wheat flour? It's awesome and in lots of baked things you can't tell much difference between it and all-purpose flour.

Evolving Mommy Catherine said...

I never would have thought of this. I love butternut squash but my husband and daughter are big fans so I don't buy it often. I bet they would eat it in bread form.

Reeni said...

Never had a squash bread but I can tell you they look positively delicious!

Anonymous said...

I love butternut squash and would absolutely love this bread, very unique and a must try!

Julie M. said...

That's definitely healthy! The squash cancels all that other stuff out (except maybe the toffee chips which just happen to be my favorite addition). You're welcome to grab my baby off my hands any time. :) Thanks for sharing!

teresa said...

butternuts are my favorite! i've never tried it in a bread, but i bet it's wonderful!

Monet said...

I'm a huge fan of pumpkin bread...so I know I would like this. Especially with the addition of ginger and those slivered almonds on top. I loved that last picture with the butter slathered across the surface!

theUngourmet said...

Your baby comment made me laugh! ;D Your bread looks so moist and yummy!

Mary | Deep South Dish said...

Yes, no babies please! ;) Heck, my grandbabies slap wear me out and I figure there's a good reason God made us parents young.

I'm glad you posted this. I'm always trying to figure out what to do with BNS and bread did not occur to me. I actually have some puree in the freezer and some chopped too!

♥peachkins♥ said...

These breads looks delicious!

Brownieville Girl said...

I love butternut squash any way it comes, but these breads look wonderful.

I have made some cakes and muffins using it as an ingredient instead of butter and it has worked out really well.

Joanne said...

I wish I had butternuts growing in abundance! These breads look great.

Kim said...

We would really be in trouble if babies slept through the night, wouldn't we? No telling how many kids I'd have if that were the case-LOL!

I haven't had a lot of butternut squash before but I do plan on trying it out this fall and this bread looks like a great way to enjoy it!

Karen said...

This looks nice and moist. I'd have a slice for lunch, too ;)

Emily said...

Oooh, this looks awesome. My husband is not as big of a squash fan as I am, but I bet in bread form it wouldn't be as bad for him. I LOVE squash!

Ameena said...

I am so intrigued by this butternut bread...I have never heard of such a thing! It looks fabulous.

And no, being able to make baby food is not worth the sleep deprivation! :)

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

IF this is milder than pumpkin, I would like it. In bread, I was not so happy with the pumpkin, only because it was a bit strong. I will have to see if t his makes the difference.

James said...

Nice ain't it - I make this for Christmas Day and add cranberries.

Seeds are nice roasted too.

grace said...

yes, one can only eat so much roasted butternut squash. your loaf looks fabulous! incidentally, i'm proud to say that i formulated a butternut squash and corn puree for beechnut baby food when i worked there--good times! :)

Ingrid_3Bs said...

LOL, heck no! As cute as they may be I'm so glad those days are LONG gone. The twins are 14 and it wasn't until about 2 yrs ago that they slept through the night every night.

I like your butter to bread ratio.
~ingrid

Monica H said...

I don't eat butternut squash all that often, but I like it cubed with a little honey, slat and pepper and a little dried cranberries (baked in the oven).

Also there's a great recipe I've wanted to try that calls for freshly grated butternut. I have the recipe in one of my Sweet Cake books but here it is, if you choose to make it:

http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/buttermilk-cake-spiced-vanilla-icing.aspx