I'm cooking once again from May's edition of Cooking Light. This one was found in the category of "SuperFast 20 Minute Cooking". Just between you and me, it may have taken me slightly longer than that.
My little guy loves shrimp, and my big guy does too, as far as that goes. So including it a salad just makes sense. I really liked the dressing that goes along with this, but I would make a little more next time...it didn't really go very far.
Here's the recipe for you:
- 4 slices center-cut bacon
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon whole-grain Dijon mustard
- 1 (10-ounce) package romaine salad
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 cup shredded carrots (about 2 carrots)
- 1 cup frozen whole-kernel corn, thawed
- 1 ripe peeled avocado, cut into 8 wedges
- 1. Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan; cut in half crosswise. Wipe pan clean with paper towels. Increase heat to medium-high. Sprinkle shrimp with paprika and pepper. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add shrimp to pan; cook 2 minutes on each side or until done. Sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon salt; toss to coat.
- 2. While the shrimp cooks, combine remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt, juice, oil, and mustard in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add lettuce; toss to coat.
- 3. Arrange about 1 1/2 cups lettuce mixture on each of 4 plates. Top each serving with about 6 shrimp, 1/2 cup tomatoes,
- 1/4 cup carrot, 1/4 cup corn, 2 avocado wedges, and 2 bacon pieces.
I also wanted to mention that I was recently given the chance to try Honest Tea's Zero Calorie Passion Fruit Green Tea.
I found this to be totally refreshing and delicious. It's sweet without being overly sweet and a perfect mid-afternoon pick-me-up. I love that it's got no calories and it's sweetened with stevia. My husband and I
fought over it shared it. I will definitely be on the lookout for this in the stores.