Sunday, April 17, 2011

Black Bean Brownies

Don't be alarmed! I don't think these are especially healthful.  And they don't taste like beans.  


They are, however, fudgy, rich, and delicious!  Perhaps too fudgy?



Definitely not a finger food, unless they get really cold.  They did get the seal of approval from picky girl child.  At least they have a little extra fiber to offer. 
  


Found the recipe at a blog called 101 Cookbooks.  Here it is for you:


4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
1 cup unsalted butter
2 cups soft-cooked black beans, drained well   (canned is fine)
1 cup walnuts, chopped
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
¼ cup (granulated) natural coffee substitute (or instant coffee, for gluten-sensitive)
¼ teaspoon sea salt
4 large eggs
1½ cups light agave nectar 
Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line an 11- by 18-inch (rimmed) baking pan ( or jellyroll pan) with parchment paper and lightly oil with canola oil spray.


Melt the chocolate and butter in a glass bowl in the microwave for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes on high. Stir with a spoon to melt the chocolate completely. Place the beans, 1/2 cup of the walnuts, the vanilla extract, and a couple of spoonfuls of the melted chocolate mixture into the bowl of a food processor. Blend about 2 minutes, or until smooth. The batter should be thick and the beans smooth. Set aside.

In a large bowl, mix together the remaining 1/2 cup walnuts, remaining melted chocolate mixture, coffee substitute, and salt. Mix well and set aside.

In a separate bowl, with an electric mixer beat the eggs until light and creamy, about 1 minute. Add the agave nectar and beat well. Set aside.

Add the bean/chocolate mixture to the coffee/chocolate mixture. Stir until blended well.

Add the egg mixture, reserving about 1/2 cup. Mix well. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Using an electric mixer, beat the remaining 1/2 cup egg mixture until light and fluffy. Drizzle over the brownie batter. Use a wooden toothpick to pull the egg mixture through the batter, creating a marbled effect. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until the brownies are set. Let cool in the pan completely before cutting into squares. (They will be soft until refrigerated.)

Makes 45 (2-inch) brownies.


17 comments:

Ally's Sweet and Savory Eats said...

This was an old Weight Watcher stand-by recipe I remember seeing a lot...I need to make!

Amy said...

Very interesting to use black beans in a dessert!

Lara said...

I have a garbanzo bean chocolate cake recipe that is actually my favorite chocolate cake ever. I totally need to give these a try!

The Blonde Duck said...

They have a pinto bean pie. Now I'm curious.

Jessica | Cajunlicious said...

Very interesting! Just found your blog and am a new follower!
- Jessica @ http://cajunlicious.com

Kim said...

They look like they turned out great! I definitely need to give this recipe a try.

Sorry I haven't been around much. I've been in a little bit of a blogging rut lately.

Hope you have a great Easter!

Unknown said...

I have been wanting to try this! Looks yummy.

scrambledhenfruit said...

These sound really good! I'm all for hiding beans in anything. :) I also love having gluten free options for goodies to take to work, and these sound like they'd be perfect for my chocoholic colleagues.

Deborah said...

I've always wanted to try black bean brownies!! Yours look delicious!

teresa said...

cool!! i want to try these, i'm always looking for healthy treats!

Mimi said...

Unusual, but they look delicious.
Mimi

Reeni said...

So weird but they do look fudgy and delicious! I would make them and not tell my family what was in them. Tee-hee.

The JR said...

sneaky, hiding veggies in your treats

Monica H said...

Did youtell the picky girl child there were black beans in them? I don't even know if my family would eat those if I told them, and they're mostly adults. By looking at them though, you can't really tell.

Karen said...

How interesting - I wonder if people could tell the difference?

Susan at www.ugogrrl.com said...

I truly cannot believe these are made with black beans. I actually don't care for beans but could use the fiber - these look really yummy!

Susan

Ali said...

I made this recipe too! It was a tad too fudgey, to the point where you could only eat it with a spoon or a fork even from the fridge. Still, it was tasty. I might be able to trick my little girl into trying these, so I think I'll try them again. :)