Friday, December 31, 2010

Happy New Year and a Cranberry Salad Recipe

Happy New Year, Calvin and Hobbes Style


 I was trying to find some fabulously inspiring quote to give you for the new year, but nothing really seemed just right.  But mostly I want to thank each and every one of you for stopping by my little site, and wish you a warm and wonderful year filled with joy and blessings, and of course a lot of deliciousness!  Have fun "exploring" through 2011.

 Here's a little pic of the cranberry salad my MIL makes that I was telling you about.  


It's truly delicious, sweet and tart, with delicious bits of cranberry and pineapple.  Goes great with your meal or as dessert. 
   
Here's her recipe...actually recipes.  She has a regular and a diet version.

Cranberry Salad - original

1 bag raw cranberries - frozen if using a grinder or not frozen if using food processor
2 apples - peeled and chopped with food processor or by hand
11/3 cup pineapple - crushed or use tidbits and chop with food processor
1 cup sugar
2 small boxes Jello - cranberry and/or raspberry
1 1/2 cups boiling water
1/2 cup cold water
1/2 carton Cool Whip - regular
 

Cranberry Salad - diet version

1 bag raw cranberries - frozen if using a grinder or not frozen if using food processor
2 apples - peeled and chopped with food processor or by hand
1 1/3 cup pineapple - crushed or use tidbits and chop with food processor
1 cup Splenda
2 small boxes Jello (sugar-free) - raspberry
1 1/2 cups boiling water
1/2 cup cold water
1/2 carton Cool Whip Free

 
Stir together: ground cranberries, chopped apples, crushed pineapple and sugar; let set 1 hour for flavors to mingle and sugar to dissolve.
Prepare Jello; let set in fridge until it begins to thicken. Stir in fruit mixture; when it begins to set pretty well, blend in Cool Whip.


Only two people were interested in my used copy of "Dining with Joy", so my daughter wrote their names down on two seperate slips of paper and pulled their name from a cup to determine the winner is Glenda.  Congrats, and I'll be contacting you soon for your mailing info.

 

15 comments:

scrambledhenfruit said...

Love the sound of your MIL's cranberry salad- we love cranberries all winter long. :) I hope you have a wonderful new year!

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

Thanks so much for the new cookbook. It will be a nice addition to my collection. I appreciate your generosity.

Happy New Year.

Fondly,
Glenda

Leslie said...

Is that a Veggie Tales spoon I spy??
Loving the Cranberry salad..reminds me of my Moms

Lara said...

Happy new year to you! The cranberry salad looks great!

Lyndas recipe box said...

I love different cranberry salads-these look delicious!
I adore Calvin and Hobbs; hadn't read them in years!
Have a Happy New Year!

Brownieville Girl said...

Love the Calvin and Hobbs cartoon!

The cranberry salad reminds me of a beetroot salad my cousin makes, delicious!

Happy 2011!

Heather S-G said...

These type of salads are so retro :D They remind me of my grandma, because she makes a few that are similar. Not one with cranberries, though...sounds good! Happy New Year, Julie :)

Pots and Pins said...

Have I told you how much I love your recipes?!? They are unique - just like this one! I especially love recipes that are "tried, tested and true" like from a MIL...those have to be good! I'll be trying this myself soon and Happy New Year! xo, Nan

Chris said...

Sigh, the world is a less wondrous place without Calvin and Hobbes in it.

Happy New Years!

teresa said...

love the salad, and love the calvin and hobbes. i read them growing up.

happy new year julie!

Diana's Cocina said...

Julie ~ I love this salad and calvin and hobbes ~ Happy new year!

Joanne said...

That cranberry salad sounds delicious! And I love the Calvin and Hobbes strip...way better than a quote in my honest opinion!

Monet said...

Calvin and Hobbes reminds me of my childhood...my brother in law gave me a book when I was about nine years old. I devoured it! I know I would devour this salad too. It looks so sweet and refreshing. Thank you for sharing with me!

The JR said...

Calvin and Hobbes are favorites.

My sister made something almost like this at XMAS. It was good.

Monica H said...

My MIL makes a cranberry salad too, but it had cream cheese in it and is frozen. It's so darn good and addicting. I like this version too and I think I have everything to make it, so I'll give it a go. thanks!