Friday, May 22, 2009

Skillet Pizza

I saw this recipe at Mommy's Kitchen and really wanted to give it a try. It actually makes enough for 3 crusts (I made one big and one little). I put the leftover crust in the freezer to try another time. Not sure how that will work out.

I thought they browned up nicely in the iron skillets and the texture and thickness of the dough was quite lovely. It's a filling meal that comes together pretty quickly. I'm wishing I had some more right now!

Here's the recipe: 1 - 14 oz Jar Pizza Sauce 8 - 12 0z Bag Shredded Mozzarella Cheese Pizza Toppings of your choice Dough Recipe: 1 1/2 Cups Warm Water 1 - pkg Dry Yeast 1 - tsp Salt (I would put a touch more next time) 3 - Cups Flour 3 Tablespoons Melted Shortening 1 - tsp Sugar Dissolve yeast in warm water with salt and sugar. Add 2 cups of flour.. beat well. Add melted Crisco. Mix well add another cup of flour and knead on a well floured surface. Place the dough in a oiled bowl and let rest for 30 minutes. Divide dough and place in two well greased iron skillets. Add sauce and any pizza toppings of your choice and top with cheese. Put in hot oven (450 degrees) and bake until brown, about 15 minutes.

15 comments:

Mary RC said...

a cast iron skillet is on my list of things i need... salavating as we speak, once again!

Tiffany said...

I used to bake Chef Boyardee pizza in an iron skillet. I bet freezing the dough will work just fine. Let us know how it goes when you get it out to make another pizza.

teresa said...

Great idea, this looks so good!

Evolving Mommy Catherine said...

The cheese on that pizza looks perfect! Oh my mouth is watering out of control.

noble pig said...

What a great idea!

theUngourmet said...

I love that these are cooked in a skillet! They look so yummy! My family would love it if I made these. Thanks for the great idea!

Carma Sez said...

Now this is an awesome idea! Looks like it can be made relatively quickly, too.

chow and chatter said...

what a great idea to make in skillet homemade dough is great, just had pizza tonight, love your blog thanks for visiting mine will follow Rebecca

Donna-FFW said...

Love this idea. The pizzas look fantastic!

Anonymous said...

Mmmm I love pizza!

Katy ~ said...

So clever to cook pizza in a skillet. We eat takeout pizza pretty often so this would be a nice money-saving and delicious alternative!

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I hope you try the peach and berry pie. It is good.

Pam said...

It looks so rustic, hearty and delicious. I love using my skillet but have never made pizza.

Brindi said...

Never thought I needed a cast iron skillet but your pictures of your pizza might change my mind.

Ingrid_3Bs said...

I saw this over at Mommy's kitchen, too! Yours looks wonderful. I have a cast iron pan I should give this a try.
~ingrid

The Muse said...

good heavens they look divine ( i have not had supper yet, but i still say they look scrumptious)! LOL

everything tastes better in a cast iron skillet!~don't you think? :)