Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Tiramisu Trifle

I like that picture. It looks like eyes at the top and a little brown tongue sticking out at the bottom. Or...a bunch of cream and ladyfingers.
I wasn't crazy about that last tiramisu recipe I tried so I wanted to try another. I got this out of a Pampered Chef cookbook and made a few substitutions.
INGREDIENTS:
1 pkg (3.4oz) instant vanilla pudding 2 cups milk 1/4 cup light rum or cognac (I used kahlua cause I had some already) 3/4 cup marscapone cheese 1 pint heavy cream, whipped 12 oz sponge cake, torn into bite size pieces (I used ladyfingers) 1 cup strong espresso 1 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
Combine pudding, milk, and rum; mix well with whisk. Lighten the marscapone cheese by turning and folding over serveral times; mix into pudding mixture. Fold in whipped cream to make filling. To assemble divide sponge cake into three portions. Layer one third on bottom of trifle bowl or glass bowl. Drizzle sponge cake with 1/3 cup espresso; spread with a third of the filling. Repeat twice to make 3 layers. Sprinkle cocoa over top. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least one hour.
I'll have to say this one was a lot better. It's a keeper!

10 comments:

Lunch Buckets said...

Did it have that weird instant pudding taste or did the good stuff cover it up? PS I'm on Maui :)

Julie said...

I thought it tasted Olive Gardeny.
How's life on Maui?

Lunch Buckets said...

Hey, wait a minute! Do you own a trifle dish? Cause that looks like a trifle dish.

Julie said...

yeah, got it at wally world for somewhere around 7 bucks. Extravagant I know.
Got to the beach for pete's sake!

Natalie Que said...

Okay, were we twins swtiched at birth? I love what you wrote on your profile, in fact, I started my blog to be popular too.

I once had that written above my comments too -something about thanks for leaving a comment because they are a great way to show the world how popular you are. I took it off, fearing people who didn't know me well might take it the wrong way. Now that I see yours though, it's just funny, who could take that the wrong way I ask you?! Way good, gave me an LOL.

The meatloaf looks excellent, and I so love roasted garlic myself too.

Thanks Jules! {can I call you Jules?}

Julie said...

Of course you can call me Jules, since your my twin and all. I'm also twins with lunch buckets, which makes us triplets I suppose.
I love your site...anything with a name like Hot Garlic's gotta be good. And it looks like you're plenty popular!

stephchows said...

mmm this is totally making me hungry! looks delicious!!

shweetpotato said...

Love your blog, gonna put you on my list of favs :D Carm

Ashley said...

OOh, that looks good! (and I could probably eat the whole thing if given the chance!) Beautiful presentation!

CECIL said...

Looks beautiful!! I have heard this version..using instant pudding for Tiramisu before but never got around to try it out.