Friday, December 25, 2009

Christmas Food Round Up

Hello out there kiddies, hope you all had a fabulous Christmas. I'm still sitting here digesting so I thought I'd post up a few of the yummies we had today.
First up is this Winter Apple Salad based on the one I found at Under the High Chair.
I gave this about a 7 out of 10 for yumminess. It may have been an 8 or 9 if I hadn't burned the pomegranate reduction beyond any point of recognition and had to just skip it.
I used 3 apples in mine instead of just one. I really loved the mixture of tangy with sweet along with the crunch of the pecans. It was a hit with me.
I also had the opportunity to try this lovely cheese from the folks at Beemster.
I'm no cheese expert at all, but I enjoyed the X-O (which stands for extra old) quite a bit. It had a nice mellow flavor.
We also had an Eggnog Custard Pie from Jamie Deen. This concoction has 1/4 cup of rum in it, and for a girl who only occasionally enjoys a watered-down margarita, that packs quite a punch!
I think if the rum were decreased, and maybe prebake the pie crust a bit so it's not quite as soggy, it would be pretty good. I gave this one a 4, mostly based on the looks of finished product.
I saved this one for last because the picture is so crappy, but it was so delicious!
It's a cranberry roasted garlic risotto, and I found this one at recipezaar.
I replaced a little of the chicken broth with white wine, otherwise followed their directions to the letter.
It's so easy, no fussing, just put it together and throw it in the oven. This is one I'll be wanting to make throughout the year. I give it a 9.5, only subtracting 0.5 because I want to eat more of it but can't!

9 comments:

Kim said...

Wow- what a fun couple of things to post about. I clicked the link for that apple salad and I love the idea of that. Very original and sounds delicious. I would probably love the XO cheese too. Never heard of a eggnog custard pie before, but it definitely sounds appealing to me. The garlic cranberry risotto looks so pretty. I'm intrigued by the combination of flavors, but would definitely like to try that one. It all looks great Julie! Merry Christmas!

grace said...

eggnog custard pie? oh, jamie deen, you do know a way to a woman's heart! he's making his mamma proud with this one. :)

Donna-FFW said...

DEE-licious roundup!! Hope you had wonderful holidays!

♥peachkins♥ said...

Happy Holidays!

Katy ~ said...

I'm on another cranberry kick so that risotto looks fab to me. Oh my, does it ever look GOOD!

Eggnog custard pie, hmm... sounds good. Haven't had custard pie in ages, have never made one, so would take your advice on precooking the crust. Thanks!

The Blonde Duck said...

I hope you had a wonderful Christmas!

Monica H said...

They all look and sound yummy to me. Hope you had a wonderful Christmas!

Mara Campbell said...

Your holiday dishes look fantastic! That risotto looks really yummy, I will definitely have to try it!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

It all looks so good. I've wanted to try a baked risotto. As I haven't the time to stand stirring for 20 plus minutes yet I love it.
~ingrid