Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Emeril's Black-Eyed Pea Salad

I've never been a huge black eyed pea fan. I don't hate them, but by themselves they just sort of taste like dirt. Although dirt would be horrible, but I'm just confusing myself.
But I learned at the Dixie Cafe that I really like them in a cold vinegar based salad.
I could go there and order their large marinated black eyed pea salad, eat half the basket of rolls, have some iced tea and be a happy girl.
So when I saw this recipe "Emeril's Potluck", I thought it would be something I would really like. I have to say I wasn't disappointed. The addition of bacon doesn't hurt matters at all. I think the addition of some green beans would be awesome, too, I may try that next time.
Here's Emeril's recipe:
5 cups cooked and drained black eyed peas ** (how to make those below)
4 sliced crisp bacon crumbled, reserve fat
1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1/2 cup evoo
1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
3 tbsp finely chopped green onion
2 tbsp finely chopped jalapeno
2 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
1 1/2 tsp essence of Emeril (I used seasoned salt)
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp fresh black pepper
1. combine peas, bacon, 3 tbsp fat, and all remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Toss and refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight. Stir occasionally.
2. all to sit at room temp 30 mins before serving.
**soak 2 cup dried black eyed peas 4 hours. Drain and place in large saucepan. Add water to cover by 2 inches and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 20 to 30 minutes. Drain and cool.

10 comments:

Lauren said...

I had a recipe similar to this at a Biggest Loser night a couple weeks ago (love that show!). I, also, am not a black eyed pea fan. But I seriously couldn't get enough of the stuff! I think the only thing different was that she left out the bacon. But man...talk about tasty!

Kim said...

Yum- garlic, jalapeno and bacon sound like they would really perk up those black-eyed peas!! I have a hard time finding black-eyed peas around here, but when I do I will try this out. I love bean salads like this. I eat them on their own, with nachos, in a burrito, maybe on chicken....I could go on ;D

The JR said...

Some halved cherry tomatoes in it would be what I would add.

I like black eyed peas. We mush them up with cornbread and I add chipped up tomatoes.

My kind of food.

The JR said...

Some halved cherry tomatoes in it would be what I would add.

I like black eyed peas. We mush them up with cornbread and I add chipped up tomatoes.

My kind of food.

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

Every good Southern girl likes blackeyed peas and this is a definite must try!

noble pig said...

Oh yum, I always forget about these peas!

teresa said...

i actually don't think i've ever even tried black eye peas. this looks so good, i love the marinade!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Like Teresa I don't think I've eaten black eye peas.

I do have to say Julie this looks kinda healthy. :) Whasupwitdat?
~ingrid

Julie said...

I dunno, I'll try to not make it a habit.

Katy ~ said...

I do not believe that I have ever eaten black eyed peas. But after seeing this, I must! This sounds GOOD!