Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Onion Chapati Turnovers

Ever since I got Mark Bittman's "The Food Matters Cookbook" (and haven't shut up talking about it) I've been intrigued by the recipe for these turnovers.  I like onions, I like turnovers, but what the heck is chapati.  Relying on my superior researching skills wikipedia I find that chapati is unleavened flatbread.  Another thing that I enjoy...so these puppies just had to be made.



Not a difficult recipe at all.  Slightly time consuming.  But if you enjoy onions as much as I do, I'd say it's worth it.  So this is not a flaky, tender crust.  It's definitely got some chew and some body to it. (Did that make sense?)

We had ours with a pot of beans and I thought it was a pretty darned nice combination.  Here's a pic of the inside....



Here's Mark's recipe if you're interested.  

3 cups whole wheat flour
salt
1 cup warm water
4 large onions, halved and sliced (I only used 3 but they were GIANT)
1/4 cup olive oil
all purpose flour, for rolling the dough


Put the flour in a food processor, add 1 tsp salt and with the machine running pour in the water.  (I used my KA with the dough hook)  Process about 30 seconds, the dough should be barely sticky.  If too dry add water 1 tbsp at a time and process about 5 to 10 seconds after each addition.  Put the dough on a lightly floured surface, cover, and let rest for at least 30 minutes or up to 2 hours.  You can make ahead, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate up to day.  Bring back to room temp before proceeding.  

Put the onions in a large skillet over medium heat.  Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are dry and almost sticking to the pan, 20-25 minutes.  Stir in the oil and a large inch of salt and turn the heat down to medium low.  Cook, stirring occasionally for 15 minutes or longer, depending on how caramelized you want the onions to be.

Once the dough has rested, divide it into 18 pieces.  Heat the oven to 450F and grease a couple baking sheets.  Using ap flour as necessary for your hands and the board, pat or roll each piece into a thing 4 1/2 inch circle.  



Top each circle with a heaping tablespoon of the onions and moisten the edges of the dough with a little water.  Fold one edge over onto the other and press with the tines of a fork to close.  Put the turnovers on the prepared baking sheets.  Bake until the dough is golden brown and hot, flipping over once, 20 to 30 minutes.  Serve warm or at room temp.  They will keep for a couple days wrapped or in a sealed container at room temp or in the refrigerator and for months in the freezer; gently reheat before serving.


On a side note, I was given the opportunity to try a 4 pack of Cholula hot sauce recently and I was tickled to receive them in this cute little carrying case!



I got to try Original, Chili Garlic, Chili Lime, and Chipotle.  I liked them all, but the Chili Garlic was especially good with quesadillas, and I liked the Chipotle really well with beans.  Can't wait for the next taco night!
Cholula's website has lots of good ideas for using the sauce, and also a coupon if you like them on Facebook.  

13 comments:

The JR said...

You could cheat and use premade dough if you were in a hurry.... I know it would not be the same. But, onions...luv them.

Neat hot sauces.

Ally's Sweet and Savory Eats said...

I'm imagining all kinds of things stuffed into this dough!

Reeni said...

Crusty dough and onions - two of my favorite things!

teresa said...

i really need to check out that book, these look so good! and i love that hot sauce too!

The Blonde Duck said...

Choula is a staple here! I really need to check that out...

Kerstin said...

I heart caramelized onions so these are right up my alley - yum!

Chris said...

We make a more redneck version of this using canned biscuits overlapped. Sounds odd but the results are really good.

Heather S-G said...

Mmmm...I love these, and I love that you're addicted to this MB book (there are definitely worse things in life). And Garlic is my favorite type of Cholula lately, though it battles w/ Chipotle for first place sometimes ;)

Lindsay @ Delighted Momma said...

Ooooh this looks pretty good!

The Blonde Duck said...

Have a magical Monday!

Sell WoW Account said...

I'm not into much onions. I may substitute or add some other veggies aside from onions. Errr, that'll be a different recipe I suppose. :P

Sell WoW Account

Sookie said...

Mmm these look cook! Would love to try them.

Val said...

Wow, this recipe makes me happy!