Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Cube Steak Sandwich and Flip Flop Wines

Of course this is really "Marlboro Man's favorite sandwich" from The Pioneer Woman.  But I just felt too silly to call it that.




It really is a butter-laden monstrosity wonderful sandwich that the whole family enjoyed.  I love the "au jus" that goes along with it...sorta like a kicked up french dip.  


Here's PW's recipe.  I'll admit that I didn't use quite as much butter as she did, I just toasted the buns instead of grilling them, and I added a little red wine to the final product and simmered it just a bit.  (If you feel the need for the 15 step tutorial on how to slice an onion you can click here for the recipe on PW's site)

  • 1 whole Large (or 2 Small) Onions
  • 2 sticks Butter (lots And Lots Of Butter)
  • 2 pounds (to 3 Pounds) Cube Steak (tenderized Round Steak That's Been Extra Tenderized)
  • Lawry's Seasoned Salt (or Similar Seasoned Salt)
  • ½ cups (approximately) Worcestershire Sauce
  • Tabasco Sauce, To Taste
  • 4 whole French/deli Rolls 

Preparation Instructions

Slice onions and cook in 1/4 stick butter until soft and light brown. Remove and set aside.
Slice cube steak against the grain. Season with Lawry’s.
Heat 2 tablespoons butter over high heat (in same skillet) until melted and beginning to brown. Add meat in single layer. Cook one side until brown, then flip and cook until brown, about a minute on both sides.
Add 1/2 cup (at least) Worcestershire sauce, 5 to 6 shakes Tabasco, and 2 tablespoons butter. Add cooked onions. Stir to combine.
Butter halved French rolls and brown in skillet.
To assemble, lay bottom half of French roll on plate. Place meat mixture, followed by a 
spoonful of juice from the pan. Top with other half of roll.

So, speaking of wine, I was recently given the opportunity to try a variety of wines made by flipflop. 

 You know, I'm not much of a wine expert, but I have to say I really enjoyed the chardonnay....really light and refreshing.  I haven't had a chance to try the other two but am looking forward to it.  Not only are these wines tasty, and quite reasonably priced, they also take part in helping others through an organization called Soles4Souls. Since 2005,  Soles4Souls has distributed over 14 million pairs of new and gently used shoes to people in need.  And for each bottle of flipflop wines sold, Soles4Souls distributes a pair of shoes.  Sounds like a win-win to me! 

12 comments:

Kim said...

Whoa...2 sticks of butter sure is alot, but it definitely looks amazing! Love the looks of the flip flop wine..very cute label.

The JR said...

With a Marlboro Man's sandwich I would expect to see a pile of french fries not green beans....

hahaha....looks good!

The Blonde Duck said...

Sigh. I tried to make that for Ben once. He hated it, I loved it.

Sheila said...

My family loves this sandwich! Its a quick meal. Thanks for the wine tip. I love Chard and am always looking for a new one to try!

Lorraine said...

I have been wanting to try this recipe and wondered how it was. Yours looks great.

The wine sounds very nice too and even better knowing that it helps others:)

Anonymous said...

I was just eyeing this recipe the other day on her site and that really is a lot of butter, lol! I imagine it's scrumptious though. I've never heard of Flip Flop wine, how great they're giving back and helping out!

Leslie said...

Yes..thanks for not putting 20 bazillion photos of how you made this sandwich. I find it unnecessary when people do that..but whatever floats their boat. Looks yummy!
Oh and if you previously subscribed to my blog in a rss reader, my blog feed has changed, you might want to re-subscribe if you have not been getting my feeds

My Little Space said...

Julie dear, I have some awards for you. Please feel free to hop over to collect it.
cheers, Kristy

Kathleen said...

This sandwich looks really yummy! 2 sticks of butter? Wow maybe it should be called cardiac arrest mans sandwich! LOL!

Monet said...

Whatever you call it...you know it has to be good with all that butter! I would love to try a bite of this (I don't know if I could handle the whole thing!) Thank you for sharing with me, my friend. Your words and creativity bring a big smile to my face. Love and hugs from Austin!

Christine's Pantry said...

Congrats on your award! Food looks wonderful!

Karen said...

Looks great! Who uses more butter, PW or Paula Deen??! It's a toss up, I think :)